Mutual Aid Could Create Mutual Problems
- Seventeen Strong. Thill, Judy // Minnesota Fire Chief;Sep/Oct2005, Vol. 42 Issue 1, p13
Focuses on an increase in the number of women firefighters in the Maple Grove Fire Department in Minnesota as of September 2005. Possible reasons behind the increase; Information on the hiring process of the department; Advantage of the women firefighters to the department.
- Fire-Alarm Belles. // New York Times Upfront;3/13/2006, Vol. 138 Issue 11, p4
Features the all-female fire crew Engine 22, Division A of Fire Engine Company 22 in San Diego, California in 2006. Members of the division; Responsibilities of the division.
- JURY VERDICT IN AED CASE REVERSED. Herbert, David L. // Sports Medicine Standards & Malpractice Reporter;Jul2008, Vol. 20 Issue 3, p41
The article discusses a court case wherein the Florida District Court of Appeals reviewed the decision of the juries on the wrongful death action. In reviewing the merit of the decision, the court occasioned to explain its decision in setting aside the jury verdict by revisiting the facts of the...
- Training Officer Liabilities. MURPHY, JOHN K. // Fire Engineering;Apr2009, Vol. 162 Issue 4, p207
The article focuses on the liabilities of a firefighting training officer. An overview of the responsibilities of the fire department and fire training officer is offered, which includes being aware of and following the most recent training standards and guidelines. It talks about the litigation...
- Lawsuit charges FDNY of killing Black probie. Arinde, Nayaba; Barker, Cyril Josh // New York Amsterdam News;2/19/2009, Vol. 100 Issue 8, p1
The article reports on the wrongful death suit filed by Sharita Sears, widow of probationary firefighter Jamel Sears, against New York City and the Fire Department City of New York (FDNY), alleging racial targeting. Sharita Sears claims that her deceased husband was forced to perform brutal...
- Blazin' Fire Board. // Minnesota Fire Chief;Mar/Apr2007, Vol. 43 Issue 4, p9
The article presents the views of several fire chiefs in Minnesota on the inclusion of women in the fire service. Bill Mund of the Saint Cloud Fire Department recommends several steps in successfully integrating women in the fire department, including planning for the change brought on by the...
- LETTERS. // Fire Chief;Jun2008, Vol. 52 Issue 6, p8
Two letters to the editor are presented in response to articles in the previous issues including "Fair Shake," by Marc Bendick in the April 2008 issue and on the role of women in fire departments.
- Renee Butts. Huston, Stephanie // Teen Ink;Feb2005, Vol. 16 Issue 6, p30
The author offers reflections on firefighter Renee Butts. The author asserts that Renee was a determined person, which makes for a good firefighter. The affiliation of Renee with the Carmel Fire Department in Carmel, Indiana is addressed. Her tasks as an emergency medical technician at the...
- A Matter Of Strict Liability. // Insurance Advocate;3/17/2003, Vol. 114 Issue 11, p14
Discusses a New York court case involving the strict liability of a gas station under the Scaffold Law for the plaintiff's injuries. Case background; Definition of the term 'owner' under the said law; Claims for injuries incurred when the telephone poles installed by the gas station fell while...