- Putting out fires. Wockner, Rex // Bay Windows;7/6/2006, Vol. 24 Issue 29, p14
The article features lesbian Fire Chief Tracy Jarman of the San Diego Fire-Rescue Department in California. She believes that her selection was based on her leadership, character, experience and the knowledge in the position. Jarman said that her sexual orientation never once came up in the...
- she's the boss. Newsome, Melba // Lifetime;Oct2004, Vol. 2 Issue 8, p58
Features fire fighter Sylivia Smith-Phifer, captain of the fire department in Charlotte, North Carolina. Percentage of women in the fire department; Description of the relationship of Smith-Phifer with his husband; Factors that motivated Smith-Phifer to engage in fire fighting profession;...
- Tribes: The Graduates. FELDMAN, KIERA // New York;8/11/2014, Vol. 47 Issue 18, p32
The article features the new women firefighters joining the Fire Department of New York (FDNY). These include Vanessa Schoening of Engine 33 East Village, Giselle King of Engine 15 Lower East Side, Charlotte Shannon of Engine 303, Jamaica, Queens and Antoinette Proctor of Engine 235,...
- Columbus, OH, Mother Overcomes Age, Brain Tumor, To Become Firefighter. // Jet;8/9/2004, Vol. 106 Issue 6, p38
Profiles African American firefighter Trina McCoy. Consideration of how McCoy applied to the Columbus Fire Academy on three separate occasions before she achieved the test scores necessary for admission; How McCoy overcame a brain tumor and became involved in physical therapy; Her passion for...
- Hot Stuff. Voo, Jocelyn // Curve;May2005, Vol. 15 Issue 3, p14
Profiles Minnesota fire chief Bonnie Bleskachek. Career history; Family; Views about gender roles; Efforts to balance parenting and being a fire chief.
- hotshot. Sosienki, Shanti // Joe Weider's Muscle & Fitness Hers;Aug2003, Vol. 4 Issue 6, p80
Profiles firefighter Deb Blais. Her professional background; Her views on wildland firefighting; Meal plan of Blais.
- Saving our own: The rapid intervention team officer. Lasky, Rick // Fire Engineering;Jul97, Vol. 150 Issue 7, p16
Discusses the roles and responsibilities of rapid intervention team (RIT) officer or team leader. Informations which the RIT officer must obtain from the incident commander when being assigned; Some observations that should be taken into consideration; Attitudes which the RIT officer and team...
- The Role of the Safety Officer. // Fire Engineering;Jun2008, Vol. 161 Issue 6, p38
The article provides several answers to a question of how is the safety officer position filled in, in the different fire department of United States.
- Firefighters to address West Shore group. // Lakelander (Whitney, TX);2/6/2008, Vol. 22 Issue 6, p2
The article focuses on the move of West Shore Fire Department members to deliver a presentation regarding the complex safety equipment used by local firefighter at the meeting of the West Shore Civic Association (WSCA) in Laguna Park in Bosque County, Texas on February 12, 2008.