AIDS Control in India: A Perspective from the Traditional Medicine Sector
- Herbal medicinal products in the European Union. // WHO Drug Information;2002, Vol. 16 Issue 2, p115
Reports on the status of herbal medicinal products in the European Union. Regulatory action; Quality assurance; Safety and efficacy.
- Alternative Licensing for Herbal Medicine-Like Products in the European Union. McIntyre, Michael // Journal of Alternative & Complementary Medicine;Apr99, Vol. 5 Issue 2, p110
Deals with the recommended alternative licensing procedures for herbal medicine-like products in the European Union (EU). Development of herbal medicine within the EU; Evaluation of a licensing system; Need to define a special category for herbal medicines and dietary supplements.
- Enhanced Thermogenesis in Rats by a Composite Indian Herbal Preparation-I and its Mechanism of Action. Kumar, Ratan; Grover, S.K.; Shyam, Radhey; Divekar, H.M.; Gupta, A.K.; Srivastava, K.K. // Journal of Alternative & Complementary Medicine;Jun99, Vol. 5 Issue 3, p245
Presents a study which tested a composite Indian herbal preparation that contains ingredients derived from several different plants and asphalt for its adaptogenic activity. Materials and methods; Results; Discussion.
- Best remedies don't always come from a brown bottle, some does say. Bonura, Chris // New Orleans CityBusiness (1994 to 2008);06/21/99, Vol. 19 Issue 51, p12
Reports on the therapeutic use of herbs in the United States. Research into the healing power of herbs; Reluctance of most health plans to offer coverage for alternative medical treatments; Danger of using herbal medicine without hard scientific backing.
- The analytical study of herbs: As yet, a fledgling science. D'Epiro, Nancy Walsh // Patient Care;1/15/2000, Vol. 34 Issue 1, p14
Discusses the conflicts associated with the therapeutic use and safety of botanical products. Issues raised regarding the quality of herbal preparations; Factors to be considered by consumers when purchasing herbal supplements; Lack of research regarding the biochemical analysis of alternative...
- Home remedies. Vukovic, Laurel // Natural Health;Jan/Feb97, Vol. 27 Issue 1, p130
Offers home remedies for various ailments. Juniper berries against colds; How to make comfrey salve; Magnesium as cure for bed-wetting; Black pepper against colds; Lavender and honey stress-relieving bath; Herbal moth repellents.
- Herbal relief. McGuinness, Tracy // Natural Health;Jun2000, Vol. 30 Issue 5, p112
Presents a guide to making the most of therapeutic herbs. Five rules for safe herb use; 15 herbs for 15 common ailments; Safety for long-term and short-term use; Pros and cons of each type of preparation.
- Alternative medicine: What the data say about common herbal therapies. Ness, Jose; Sherman, Fredrick T.; Pan, Cynthia X. // Geriatrics;Oct99, Vol. 54 Issue 10, p33
Discusses the growth in the use of alternative medicine. Definition of alternative medicine; Information on common herbal preparations, their sources, biological activity, clinical indications and side effects.
- 5 Herbal Remedies. Albert, Kathy // Total Health;Jul/Aug99, Vol. 21 Issue 3, p42
Offers information on the five most important herbal remedies that should be included in an outdoor medicine kit. Health benefits of echinacea; Purpose of lavender essential oil; Disadvantage of grapefruit seed extract.