Wall Street Sizes Up a Satellite Merger
- Ergen: DirecTV Rebuffed My Bid. Hogan, Monica // Multichannel News;11/20/2000, Vol. 21 Issue 47, p12
Reports on EchoStar Communications Corp. chairman Charlie Ergen's claim that DirecTV Inc. has rebuffed his attempts to discuss how EchoStar might make a bid for its direct-broadcast satellite rival's assets. DirecTV parent General Motors' consideration of the sale of Hughes Electronics Corp.,...
- Dish's Ergen Dismisses a Union With Rival DirecTV. Moss, Linda // Multichannel News;1/15/2007, Vol. 28 Issue 3, p13
The article discusses the views of Charlie Ergen, chairman of EchoStar Communications Corp. on the plan of John Malone of Liberty Media Corp. to purchase 38.5 percent stake of News Corp. Ltd. in DirecTV Inc. in the U.S. He is pleased that the companies are asking for the approval of regulators,...
- TWO STONES WITH ONE BIRD? Moss, Linda // Multichannel News;5/28/2007, Vol. 28 Issue 22, p15
The article suggests that DirecTV does not have to merge with EchoStar Communications for them to be able to provide and compete more effectively against cable companies in the U.S. Liberty Media's acquisition of News Corp.'s stake in DirecTV may present an opportunity for Echostar chief...
- EchoStar to battle Rupe for DirecTV. Goldsmith, Jill // Daily Variety;05/25/2001, Vol. 271 Issue 62, p1
Reports on the conflict between satellite network executives Charlie Ergen and Rupert Murdoch over the merger of satellite television company DirecTV Inc. with EchoStar Communications Corp. Reasons for the conflict between Ergen and Murdoch; Impact of the merger on cable operators.
- DISH SHENANIGANS. Farrell, Mike // Multichannel News;1/27/2003, Vol. 24 Issue 4, p1
Reports on allegations on Charlie Ergen, chairman at EchoStar Communications Corp. for selling the company in delaying the possible merger between News Corp. and DirecTV Inc. Response of Ergen to the allegations; Overview of the dispute between EchoStar and News Corp.; Efforts made by News...
- The curious Murdoch factor. Cosper, Amy C. // Satellite Broadband;Sep2001, Vol. 2 Issue 9, p22
Discusses the plan of executive Rupert Murdoch of News Corp., to acquire DirecTV, a unit of Hughes Electronics, from General Motors. Rival of Murdoch in the acquisition; Market value of a combined Hughes-News Corp.; Purpose of the combination; Expectations on Murdoch's acquisition. INSET: The...
- Grilled Murdoch Drops HD Hints. Hearn, Ted // Multichannel News;5/26/2003, Vol. 24 Issue 21, p1
Reports on the plan of broadcaster News Corp.'s chairman Rupert Murdoch of acquiring DirecTV Inc. View of Murdoch on technology that allows direct-broadcast satellite carriers to retransmit local television stations in high-definition format; Implication of the merger on the prospect of...
- News Corp. Takes Political Heat. McConnell, Bill // Broadcasting & Cable;5/12/2003, Vol. 133 Issue 19, p3
Reports on the opposition faced by Rupert Murdoch of News Corp., on his proposed acquisition of satellite television leader DirectTV. Concern of media companies against Murdoch's policies; Terms and condition of the merger; Impact of the merger on other media companies.
- Murdoch defends DirecTV bid. Sperling, Nicole // Hollywood Reporter -- International Edition;8/21/2001, Vol. 369 Issue 34, p134
Reports on News Corp. chairman and chief executive officer Rupert Murdoch's defense of the proposed merger between his company's Sky Global Networks business unit and DirecTV Inc. Synergy of the proposed merger; Benefits for the companies' customers.