Eminent Domain Initiative Headed to Nevada Voters in Nov
- Overhaul needed to stop eminent domain abuse. Schepisi, John A. // njbiz;9/26/2011, Vol. 24 Issue 39, p19
The article urges the New Jersey Legislature to take necessary action to stop eminent domain abuse by condemning authorities and to balance the right of the property owner with the right of the public.
- El Paseo del RÃo San Francisco: Urban Development and Social Justice in Puebla, Mexico. Churchill, Nancy E. // Social Justice;1999, Vol. 26 Issue 3, p156
Focuses on the expropriation of the private properties in Puebla, Mexico to construct a convention center and tourist complex. Inability of the government to persuade property owners to give up their properties; Contents of the 1993 General Law of Human Settlements; Development of the...
- Fighting Chance. Bahls, Steven C.; Bahls, Jane Easter // Entrepreneur;Nov98, Vol. 26 Issue 11, p82
Focuses on the legal concept called eminent domain which means the right of federal, state and local governments to take private property when needed for public purposes. What happens if the land owner refuses the government's initial offering; Advice given by attorney Augustus F. Wagner Jr.,...
- SUBSTITUTE CONDEMNATION. Williams, Stanley H. // California Law Review;May66, Vol. 54 Issue 2, p1097
Discusses the law on substitute condemnation. Command of the Fifth Amendment with regard to private property; Discussion of the power of eminent domain; Distinct meanings of the phrase public use.
- The great property rights revival. Sandefur, Timothy // Business Journal Serving Fresno & the Central San Joaquin Valley;12/8/2006, Issue 323645, p27
The author reflects on the approved ballot initiatives prohibiting the seizure of homes and businesses for private development in the U.S. The Constitution provides that the government may take property for public use. This measure is considered to be a response to Supreme Court's decision in...
- Upcoming Ballot Measures Go Beyond Eminent Domain. Saskal, Rich // Bond Buyer;7/28/2006, Vol. 357 Issue 32433, p1
The article reports on the United States Supreme Court' decision in "Kelo v. New London, Conn." which upholds the government's ability to seize private property for economic development. The Supreme Court's decision has sparked popular sentiment against such uses of eminent domain. The article...
- Wedded to Place. Hiller, Nancy // Old-House Interiors;Nov2005, Vol. 11 Issue 6, p38
Explains how the law of eminent domain impacts homes and homeowners in the United States. Family value of homes; Difficulty to replace homes whose owners dedicated time and money to design, construct and maintain them; Protection of homes; Value of home-making.
- For the greater good. Howell IV, James H. // Wenatchee Business Journal;May98, Vol. 12 Issue 5, pC7
Presents information on the law referred to as the right of eminent domain. Provisions of the law; Acceptable reasons for a city to condemn a property; Logic of the law. INSET: Tips from the trenches.
- CALIFORNIA: Eminent Domain Bid Fails. Saskal, Rich // Bond Buyer;9/14/2007, Vol. 361 Issue 32713, p9
The article reports on the failure of a proposed ballot measure to modify eminent domain rules in California. The proposed constitutional amendment was supported by the League of California Cities and the Californian Redevelopment Association yet failed due to lack of Republican support. The...