World's first botanical garden has roots in medicine
- GOETHE, J. W. The metamorphosis of plants. Introduction and photography by G. L. Miller. MIT Press, Cambridge, Massachusetts, & London: 2009. Pp xxxi, 123; illustrated. Price US$ 21.95, UKÂ£ 16.95. ISBN 978-0-262-01309-3 (hardback). Gray, William // Archives of Natural History;Oct2010, Vol. 37 Issue 2, p364
The article reviews the book "The Metamorphosis of Plants" by J. W. Goethe, photography by Gordon L. Miller.
- The Function of Translation in Global Literary Studies. MORGAN, PETER // AALITRA Review;Jun2014, Issue 8, p6
Literary scholarship is in a state of crisis. The national paradigms have outlived their usefulness as the organizing structures for literary scholarship, and the institutional framework for literary study is becoming comparative and global. In response to these changes we are witnessing a new...
- Gothe & Arber: Unity in diversity. Flannery, Maura C. // American Biology Teacher;Nov/Dec95, Vol. 57 Issue 8, p544
Focuses on the contributions of Agnes Arber and Johann Wolfgang von Goethe to botany. Goethe's development of the botanical concept of the primal plant; Criticism of Goethe's scientific investigations as amateurish; Coining of the word `morphology'; Arber's kinship with Goethe beyond their...
- Peace and War. Freeman, Gwendolen // History Today;May76, Vol. 26 Issue 5, p344
Presents information on the life of Luke Howard, a Quaker meteorologists. Relationship of Howard with Goethe; Educational background; Family relations; His views on Christianity.
- On the meaning of `Hatem' in Goethe's West-"stlicher divan. Metlitzki, Dorothee // Journal of the American Oriental Society;Jan-Mar97, Vol. 117 Issue 1, p148
Examines Johann Wolfgang Goethe's failure to explain the meaning of the Arabic word `Hatem' in his literature. Use of `Hatem' to describe Goethe poetic side; What is the Arabic meaning of `Hatem'; Reference to the Islamic poets of Medieval Persia.
- GOETHE'S 'FAUST': PART I. Cotterill, H. B. // Faust-Legend & Goethe's 'Faust';1/1/1912, p5
Part I of the play "Faust," by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe is presented.
- GOETHE'S 'FAUST': PART II. Cotterill, H. B. // Faust-Legend & Goethe's 'Faust';1/1/1912, p6
Part II of the play "Faust," by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe is presented.
- Goethe, a mind for the universal. Mann, Thomas; Opresco, Georges // UNESCO Courier;Oct93, Vol. 46 Issue 10, p42
Presents a series of texts by speakers who attended the symposium on Goethe in Frankfurt, May 12-14, 1932, to mark the centenary of the German poet's death. The eighteen speakers all reached the same conclusion in differing but consensual terms; Goethe's central preoccupation for universality;...
- THE LIBERATED LOST. Neuhaus, Richard John // First Things: A Monthly Journal of Religion & Public Life;Oct2000, Issue 106, p81
Discusses the idea that religion is the heart of culture and culture is the form of religion. Views by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe on conventional religion; Excerpts from the book 'The Life of Geothe,' by George Henry Lewes; Images from references to Weimar; Tradition of telling the same old...