Hot and Hearty
- Iowa's Urge to Burge. Alexis, Jennifer // FoodService Director;6/15/2005, Vol. 18 Issue 6, p30
Focuses on the renovation of the Burge dining hall by the food services team at the University of Iowa. Features of the dining hall; Lessons learned by the team from the renovation process; Role of the university staff in menu development.
- Simply Soup. Weisberg, Karen // FoodService Director;10/15/2007, Vol. 20 Issue 10, p46
This article focuses on the signature soups being offered by several school- and hospital-foodservices in the U.S. According to Tom Driscoll, director of food services at the University of Oregon in Eugene, their version is on the menu daily at the Dux Bistro, where there is also a second...
- NEWS/INNOVATION. // FoodService Director;2/15/2007, Vol. 20 Issue 2, p6
The article presents an update on school food service in the U.S. as of February 15, 2007. The renovation of cafeteria at Muscatine High School in Iowa has increased lunch volume to more than 500%. The nutrition services department at Bartow County School in Cartersville, Georgia has decided to...
- A 'souper' comfort food. Pearl, Anita R. // FoodService Director;11/15/2002, Vol. 15 Issue 11, p62
Reports on the popularity of soups in the menu of schools across the U.S. Variety of soups offered at the Newtown Public Schools; Influence of weather on soup demand at the Lynn Public Schools; Range of ingredients used in the soup offering of Fairport Central Schools.
- REMOVING GUESSWORK, WASTE WITH: PREPARED MEATS. Wolson, Shelley // FoodService Director;3/15/2004, Vol. 17 Issue 3, p70
Discusses the benefits of using prepared meat products for food service operations in U.S. schools. Approach used by Robin Kaufmann, food service director at Mayfield City Schools in Mayfield Heights, Ohio, in preparing chicken for the school children; Advantages of using prepared meats for the...
- Fresh Start at Shively. // FoodService Director;3/15/2010, Vol. 23 Issue 3, p12
The article focuses on the renovated Shively Court, formerly the Shively Dining Hall at the Ohio University in Athens, Ohio. It states that a number of Shively's team members worked to a great extent to come up with ideas that would correspond to the trends in the industry. It also offers...
- Feeding campus night owls. Watkins, Carolyn // Food Management;Jan1999, Vol. 34 Issue 1, p22
Reports on the growing number of food service operations in universities and colleges across the United States, that are extending service hours for late-night dining. Impact of extended service hours on college/university dining services department; Staffing challenges associated with late...
- STUDENTS POINT BROWSERS TO FOOD: Online ordering clicks in CA colleges. Chater, Amanda // FoodService Director;12/15/2002, Vol. 15 Issue 12, p11
Provides information on the online ordering services available to students and university food service departments in southern California. Information on Earl's: The Online Experience at the University of California-San Diego; Room service at the University of Southern California.
- SOUTHWESTERN UNIVERSITY: Lunch check $6 in law school cafe. // FoodService Director;07/15/2000, Vol. 13 Issue 7, p16
Reports that the Tea Room in the former Bullock's Wilshire department store in Los Angeles, California is now the cafeteria for the Southwestern University School of Law. Some of the items offered at the cafeteria; Issues considered in operating the cafeteria; Reward for ten visits to the...