Early Effects of Responsivity Education/Prelinguistic Milieu Teaching for Children With Developmental Delays and Their Parents
- Weekly EDMs. // EPM Weekly Bulletin;6/1/2004, Issue 178, Weekly EDMs p1
This article focuses on issues related to various topics. The Great Britain's House commends the Down's Syndrome Association for supporting the right of children with Down's Syndrome to receive the education they need to fulfil their individual potential in either mainstream or special school....
- Teaching Students With Autistic Spectrum Disorders to Read. Broun, Leslie Todd // Teaching Exceptional Children;Mar/Apr2004, Vol. 36 Issue 4, p36
Offers advice to teachers on the use of visual approach to teach students with autistic spectrum disorders to read. Implementation of the methodology in Patricia Oelwein's book "Teaching Reading to Children with Down Syndrome: A Guide for Parents and Teachers"; Use of personal and meaningful...
- Parental Perspectives on Inclusion: Effects of Autism and Down Syndrome. Kasari, Connie; Freeman, Stephanny F.N.; Bauminger, Nirit; Alkin, Marvin C. // Journal of Autism & Developmental Disorders;Aug1999, Vol. 29 Issue 4, p297
This study examined the effects of the child's diagnosis (autism vs. Down syndrome), age, and current educational placement on parental perceptions toward inclusion for their child with disabilities. Parents of children with autism and with Down syndrome completed surveys regarding their...
- Dealing with Down syndrome. // Australian Parents;Oct/Nov2001, p48
Describes the challenges of parenthood experienced by Phil and Judy Davidson who have a daughter with Down syndrome.
- Down Syndrome Parenting 101: Must-have Advice for Making Your Life Easier. Sauer, Janet S. // Research & Practice for Persons with Severe Disabilities;Winter2012, Vol. 37 Issue 4, p323
No abstract available.
- Teaching children with down syndrome about theirs bodies, boundaries and sexuality: A guide for parents and professionals (2007). Hamilton, Sheila // Canadian Journal of Occupational Therapy;Apr2009, Vol. 76 Issue 2, p127
The article reviews the book "Teaching Children With Down Syndrome About Their Bodies, Boundaries and Sexuality: A Guide for Parents and Professionals," by Terri Couwenhoven.
- New Studies Planned On Down Syndrome. Sparks, Sarah D. // Education Week;1/14/2015, Vol. 34 Issue 17, p6
The article discusses the plans of the U.S. National Institutes of Health (NIH) to conduct research on Down syndrome in an effort to improve the education of students with Down syndrome. Topics discussed include the impact of longer life spans for individuals with Down syndrome on the research,...
- Making inclusion successful. // Exceptional Parent;OCT96, Vol. 26 Issue 10, p58
Cites a study sponsored by the National Down Syndrome Society which found that inclusion benefits both special students and teachers alike. How classes benefit from working with a student with Down syndrome; Need for more appropriate teacher preparation and more time for conferences among...
- Citizenship in the literate community: An ethnography of children with Down syndrome and the... Kliewer, Christopher // Exceptional Children;Winter98, Vol. 64 Issue 2, p167
Presents information on a study which examined students with Down syndrome over a two year period. Information on the literacy opportunities and expectations of such children; Methodology of the study; Interpretation of the findings; Discussion on the findings; Implications of the results.