USDTV Pulls the Plug
- Cablers told to police content. Iyer, Shilpa Bharatan // Daily Variety;12/23/2005, Vol. 289 Issue 63, p6
The article reports on the ruling of the Mumbai High Court on the operators of India's cable and satellite platforms. It mentions the statement of India Cable Operators Association prexy Roop Sharma on the responsibility for policing content.
- Change - Better get used to it. Rolls, Jay // CED;Oct2010, Vol. 36 Issue 9, p19
The article presents the author's view on the growth and innovation in the cable industry in the U.S. He presents the inventions and mode of data transmission in the '70s, '80s, and '90s depicting the installation of cable networks, cable programming, and fiber cable networks, and satellite...
- Which way do you go: cable, satellite or nothing at all? Hatfield, David // Inside Tucson Business;12/14/2009, Vol. 19 Issue 28, p11
The article discusses the options for customers as to where to hook up their high-definition televisions (HDTV) in Tucson, Arizona. Customers have options of either cable or satellite connections, or neither. It compares the cost of packages offered by both the cable and satellite systems that...
- FCC Rule: Set-Top Killer? Spangler, Todd // Multichannel News;5/3/2010, Vol. 31 Issue 18, p22
The article reports on the impact of the proposed AllVid specification by the U.S. Federal Communications Commission (FCC) on the MPEG-2-Based digital set-top. Accordingly, the proposed specification could ban the pay television set-top box if it would be enacted as a regulation. It notes that...
- USDTV Emerges for Another Try. Moss, Linda // Multichannel News;11/27/2006, Vol. 27 Issue 47, p13
The article reports on the effort of U.S. Digital Television (USDTV) to reposition itself in the market after going into liquidation bankruptcy on July, 2006. According to the author, the assets of the company were sold to NexGen Telecom when it filed for bankruptcy and NexGen Chairman Charles...
- Verizon Backs Extension. Hearn, Ted // Multichannel News;2/19/2007, Vol. 28 Issue 8, p39
The article reports on the expected extension of law by the Federal Communication Commission, that would permit TV competitors to demand access to satellite-delivered cable channels. The cable channels are owned by cable operator Tom Tauke, Verison Communications executive vice president of...
- At press time. // Electronic Media;05/03/99, Vol. 18 Issue 18, p1
Reports developments in the television industry in the United States as of May 1999. Includes subscription rate hike by ESPN; Revelation of the WIS-TV source; Supreme Court order on the turn over of unbroadcast video of riots at Michigan State University.
- Getting through to MDUs. Brown, Karen // CED;Oct2005, Vol. 31 Issue 10, p28
Focuses on the challenges met by cable operators on multi dwelling unit (MDU) service for multi-family segment in the U.S. Importance of MDUs business for cable operators; Launching of Internet Protocol video services by telecommunication providers; Service agreements between MDUs and building...
- DirecTV adds foursomes, forecasts and more. Scully, Sean // Broadcasting & Cable;11/22/93, Vol. 123 Issue 47, p28
Announces participating channels in Hughes' DirecTv direct-broadcasting satellite's programming roster. Distribution of medical-programming Physicians Television Network; Moves by competitor United States Satellite Broadcasting (USSB).