SEC Seeks to Boost Raters' Competition, Public Oversight
- SEC Eyes Rule Changes for Ratings Agencies. Ackerman, Andrew // Bond Buyer;6/11/2008, Vol. 364 Issue 32897, p1
The article reports on the plan of the U.S. Securities & Exchange Commissioni (SEC) to propose rules that will develop the transparency and accountability of the regulated rating agencies. The proposed rules require the agencies to disclose the ratings history of the securities they rate to...
- SEC Moves Forward on NRSRO Rules. Hume, Lynn // Bond Buyer;2/1/2007, Vol. 359 Issue 32559, p1
The article reports that the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) propose rules that would establish a registration as well as regulatory system for credit rating agencies. The proposed rules would be implementing provisions of the Credit Rating Agency Reform Act of 2006. SEC moves...
- Competition for Credit Raters. Swope, Christopher // Governing;Dec2006, Vol. 20 Issue 3, p54
The article reports on the passage of the Credit Rating Agency Reform Act, which intends to open the ratings business to new competition, by the U.S. Congress. The law aims to create more transparency in a business that took some heat for missing financial scandals. It gives the U.S. Securities...
- Proposed Rules for Credit Ratings Disclosures, Pay-to-Play Practices, Municipal Securities Disclosures. Silliman, Benjamin R. // Bank Accounting & Finance (08943958);Feb/Mar2010, Vol. 23 Issue 2, p41
The article presents an update on the proposed rules by the U.S. Securities and Commission (SEC) governing credit ratings disclosures, pay-to-play practices and municipal securities disclosures. The SEC amendment requires Nationally Recognized Statistical Rating Organizations (NRSRO) to disclose...
- SEC Gets Feedback. Ackerman, Andrew // Bond Buyer;9/28/2009, Vol. 369 Issue 33190, p1
The article reports on the argument of the Government Finance Officers Association and the National Association of Bond Lawyers for the revision of statistical rating in the U.S. Both groups contended that the Securities and Exchange Commission should demand credit rating agencies to send rating...
- SEC Reports Progress from Ratings Agencies. Glazier, Kyle // Bond Buyer;12/30/2014, Issue 34234, p1
Credit rating agencies have made strides in implementing mandatory reforms, the SEC said in recent reports that found the raters also need to improve in several areas, , including the way they handle conflicts of interest.
- The SEC's Other Problem. White, Lawrence J. // Regulation;Winter2002/2003, Vol. 25 Issue 4, p38
Focuses on the regulation of the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) of the bond rating industry. Background on bond rating firms; History of the regulation; Details of the actions of SEC; Criteria for the entry of new firms into the nationally recognized statistical rating organizations.
- SEC takes on elderly woman in Croatia. Kim, Jim // Fierce Finance IT;3/27/2014, p1
No abstract available.
- Ask FERF About. . . Credit Rating Agencies. de Mesa Graziano, Cheryl // Financial Executive;Jun2005, Vol. 21 Issue 5, p58
The article discusses the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission's (SEC) proposed rule on the Definition of Nationally Recognized Statistical Rating Organization (NRSRO). Under the rule any credit agency that meets this codified definition would be considered an NRSRO. Ratings by NRSROs are...