Sales Tax Suit Outlined
- Deadline Approaches to Join Suit Against Jefferson County, Ala., Tax. Sigo, Shelly // Bond Buyer;6/24/2005, Vol. 352 Issue 32161, p1
The article reports that taxpayers in Jefferson County, Alaska, have joined for a class action lawsuit challenging the use of a one-cent sales tax increase to secure over $1 billion of bonds sold by the county on behalf of local school boards for capital improvements. The class action was...
- SOUTHWEST Bond-Watch. Watts, Jim // Bond Buyer;6/14/2005, Vol. 352 Issue 32153, p35
Reports developments related to bond market in the U.S. Rise of sales tax for the public health services district by Yuma County supervisors; Reopening of the lake View school funding lawsuits after several complaints filed; Efforts made by David Dybala, Dallas City's public works and...
- PURCHASE TAX - Dressing table units are liable to purchase. // Accountancy;Apr1968, Vol. 79 Issue 896, p264
Cites the decision of a British court on the 'F. Austin (Leyton) Ltd. v. Customs and Excise Commissioners' case on purchase tax.
- MISSISSIPPI. // Sales & Use Tax Alert;9/15/2012, Vol. 22 Issue 16, p6
The article reports that the Mississippi Court of Appeals has dismissed a taxpayer's lawsuit which attempted to enjoin the state's Department of Revenue (DOR) from collecting a contractor's sales tax assessment.
- Public School. . . unequal financing. Ashman, Allan // American Bar Association Journal;May77, Vol. 63 Issue 5, p710
Discusses the ruling of the Supreme Court of California on the case, Serrano v. Priest. Court's decision that the California's public school financing system violated the equal protection provisions of the state's constitution; Case background; Dissenting arguments of Justice Richardson on the...
- Lawsuit Seeks to Overhaul Calif. School Finance System. Maxwell, Lesli A // Education Week;6/9/2010, Vol. 29 Issue 33, p24
The article discusses the school finance lawsuit in California in which parents, students, school leaders, and education advocates are suing the state to force it to overhaul the way it pays for public schooling.
- Exactly how much has the state spent on Claremont suit? Burling, Peter Hoe // New Hampshire Business Review;3/1/96, Vol. 18 Issue 5, p11
Focuses on the school-funding lawsuit in Claremont, New Hampshire, filed for the purpose of determining the state's obligation to fairly fund education. Funding of the lawsuit; Issues on accountability and fairness in relation to the funding of the lawsuit.
- Advocates for Poor Families Sue Calif. for School Funding. Maxwell, Leslia // Education Week;8/11/2010, Vol. 29 Issue 37, p5
The article reports on a lawsuit which was filed in July of 2010 against the state of California by advocates for low-income families and minority students who were concerned about the state's school finance system and claim in their suit that the system's funding process is unconstitutional and...
- Districts Sue Texas Over Aid Formula. // Education Week;10/19/2011, Vol. 31 Issue 8, p17
The article reports that the Texas Taxpayer and Student Fairness Coalition, a group of over 150 school districts in Texas, has issued a lawsuit in 2011 against the state regarding the fairness, efficiency, and constitutionality of lawmakers' approach to school funding in light of budget cuts.