Agreement Between Michigan Governor, Lawmakers Sets Up Budget Negotiations
- Mich. Lawmakers Reach Deal on K-12 School Budget. Sack, Joetta L. // Education Week;9/15/2004, Vol. 24 Issue 3, p24
This article informs that a last-minute deal has assured Michigan school districts that they will receive a slight increase in funding in the new fiscal year that begins on October 1, despite the state's $1.2 billion budget shortfall. While most Michigan districts were slated to receive a...
- Michigan Governor Vows to Veto Plan Cutting Aid to Schools, Governments. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;3/26/2007, Vol. 359 Issue 32594, p3
The article reports that Michigan Governor Jennifer Granholm has vowed to oppose a Republican-backed Senate plan to cut $377 million of school aid and another $255 million from the state general fund. According one source, the governor would veto the legislation, but a representative from...
- Education Survives in Michigan---for Now. Cain, Charlie; Hornbeck, Mark; Bell, Julie // State Legislatures;Jan2004, Vol. 30 Issue 1, p24
Deals with the consensus reached by Michigan legislative leaders and Governor Jennifer Granholm that funding education would be Michigan's top priority. Minimum basic grant that schools get for each of the state's students in kindergarten through high school; Priorities for budget discussions;...
- Local telecom firms criticize bill to change rates. Lane, Amy // Crain's Detroit Business;12/14/2009, Vol. 25 Issue 48, p21
The article reports that telecommunications companies are opposing a bill that headed to Michigan's governor Jennifer Granholm, and would change the rates local calling providers can charge long-distance companies for access to their networks.
- Michigan governor signs bill increasing snowmobile fees. // American Snowmobiler;Mar2009, Vol. 23 Issue 6, p10
The article reports on the approval of a legislation that increases the snowmobile registration and trail permit fees for the 2009-2010 season by Governor Jennifer Granholm in Michigan. It is cited that the registration will rise from $22 to $30 effective July 1 and permits will augment from $25...
- State budget process needs an overhaul. // Crain's Detroit Business;12/15/2003, Vol. 19 Issue 50, p8
In less than a year, Michigan lawmakers and Governor Jennifer Granholm have wrestled with budget gaps totaling more than $2.5 billion. To maintain a constitutionally mandated balanced budget, lawmakers and the governor must engage in a politically charged dance of give-and-take. Compromising on...
- Wiretap bill improves casinos' public image. // Crain's Detroit Business;02/15/99, Vol. 15 Issue 7, p8
Comments on Michigan Attorney General Jennifer Granholm's call for legislation authorizing wiretaps to prevent the infiltration of Detroit casinos by organized crime. Other key government figures who support state wiretapping authority.
- Service tax plan projects $1.26B in new revenue. Lane, Amy // Crain's Detroit Business;2/22/2010, Vol. 26 Issue 8, p4
The article reports that Michigan governor Jennifer Granholm have proposed to generate 1.26 billion dollars in fiscal 2011 by extending a sales tax to consumer services.
- Stabilization Bond Boost. Devitt, Caitlin // Bond Buyer;2/10/2010, Vol. 371 Issue 33264, p9
The article reports on the legislation signed by Michigan Governor Jennifer Granholm on February 5, 2010 for the issuance of a 250-million-dollar fiscal stabilization bonds to help eliminate the pay off short-term obligations and deficits of the state's cities.