Assessing Flood Damage
- Ka'ena Point Advisory Group Proposes Limiting Access. // Environment Hawai'i;Nov2010, Vol. 21 Issue 5, p11
The article offers information on the proposal of the Ka'ena Point Advisory Group to limit the access to the Ka'ena Point Natural Area Reserve located in O'ahu, Hawaii presented to the Department of Land and Natural Resources (DLNR) of Hawaii.
- Kaua'i Pumped Storage Project Wins Preliminary Approval of Land Lease. Dawson, Teresa // Environment Hawai'i;Dec2014, Vol. 25 Issue 6, p1
The article discusses the proposed pumped storage hydropower project by Kaua'i Island Utility Cooperative (KIUC) which wins the preliminary approval for the land lease in Pu'u Lua reservoir. Topics mentioned include the use of old sugar plantation infrastructure, the approval given by Hawaii...
- A Clarification. // Environment Hawai'i;Jan2013, Vol. 23 Issue 7, p2
A correction to the article about the requirement by Hawaii's Department of Land and Natural Resources for landowners to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars for shoreline easements that was published in the December 2012 issue is presented.
- Contested Case Rule Changes To Go before Public. // Environment Hawai'i;Aug2002, Vol. 13 Issue 2, p10
Reports on the proposed revision to rules governing contested cases in Hawaii, focusing on land use in the state. Filing fees proposed by the Department of Land and Natural Resources for people seeking to participate in a contested case; Views on the proposed changes to the rule.
- The night the dam broke. Trebilcock, Bob; Huber, William // Yankee;Nov96, Vol. 60 Issue 11, p64
Recounts the destruction of the dam at Meadon Pond in Concord, New Hampshire on March 13, 1996. Background on the dam's construction; Destruction wrought by the flooding that occurred after the dam broke; Areas affected; Efforts to address the problem.
- Report warns of crippling flood costs. // Utility Week;1/22/2010, Vol. 32 Issue 2, p7
This article focuses on a report from the Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE) and the Royal Institute of British Architects (Riba) which warns water companies about crippling infrastructure costs as a result of coastal flooding caused by sea level rises.
- Poachers Take Timber Valued at $1 Million. Dawson, Teresa // Environment Hawai'i;Jan2003, Vol. 13 Issue 7, p1
Reports on the case of illegal logging in South Kona, Hawaii. Information on the company responsible for the incident; Estimated total volume of cut koa trees in the area; Amount to be paid by loggers for damages, as recommended by the Land Division staff of the Department of Land and Natural...
- Land Board Writes Off Uncollectible Accounts. // Environment Hawai'i;Jun2012, Vol. 22 Issue 12, p3
The article reports that the Hawaii Land Board has decided to examine the list of uncollectable accounts submitted by the Department of Land and Natural Resources' (DLNR) Division of Boating and Ocean Recreation in 2012.
- Proclamation, Rights of Entry Unfetter Army Corps in Ordnance Surveys, Disposal. Dawson, Teresa // Environment Hawai'i;Oct2011, Vol. 22 Issue 4, p1
The article focuses on the right-of-entry issued by the Hawaii Department of Land and Natural Resources (DNLR) which would allow the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to detonate unexploded ordnance in place on all state lands managed by DNLR. The department verified the compliance of the decision to...