June 29, 1974: Mikhail Baryshnikov defects
- The soloist. Acocella, Joan // New Yorker;01/19/98, Vol. 73 Issue 43, p44
Profiles ballet dancer Mikhail Baryshnikov. Information on the social conditions of Baryshnikov's homeland, Latvia; Why Baryshnikov returned to his homeland in 1997; Details on his talent as a ballet dancer.
- MIKHAIL BARYSHNIKOV. Hirschorn, Joel // Daily Variety;12/01/2000, Vol. 269 Issue 63, pA1
Profiles ballet dancer Mikhail Baryshnikov of Riga, Latvia. Public debut of Baryshnikov leading to the creation of ballet 'Vestris'; Honor given by the Moscow national and the Nijinksky kudos to Baryshnikov; Partnership of Baryshnikov with Balanchine and Jerome Robbins at the New York City Ballet.
- A new leaf. Jacobs, Laura // Vanity Fair;Jan99, Issue 461, p84
Features ballet dancer Mikhail Baryshnikov. Celebration of 50th birthday in 1997; Benefit dance for Dancers Responding to AIDS.
- Misha's new moves. Shapiro, Laura // Bulletin with Newsweek;01/20/98, Vol. 117 Issue 6106, p60
Profiles dances Mikhail Baryshnikov. His preparation for a series of solo performances in early 1998; His charisma; Lifestyle; Childhood; His defection from the Soviet Union in 1974; Details on his solo repertoire.
- Misha's new moves. Shapiro, Laura // Newsweek;1/19/1998, Vol. 131 Issue 3, p60
Profiles Mikhail Baryshnikov, premier dancer of the 20th century, in light of the January 1998 observation of his 50th birthday. His dance schedule for 1998; His mastery of the art of ignoring personal questions from interviewers; His background in ballet and defection from the Kirov Ballet in...
- Nureyev and Baryshnikov: Paris and New York. Croce, Arlene // New Yorker;8/4/86, Vol. 62 Issue 24, p77
Compares the careers of ballet dancers, Rudolf Nureyev and Mikhail Baryshnikov before and after their defection from the Soviet Union. Highlights of Nureyev's contributions for the Paris Opera Ballet; Significance of Baryshnikov's appointment to become director of the American Ballet Theatre;...
- DANCING. Croce, Arlene // New Yorker;6/20/83, Vol. 59 Issue 18, p90
The article focuses on unique dance steps of ballet dancer, Makhail Baryshnikov. Men used to perform high cabrioles with the torso held erect. Since Baryshnikov, nearly everybody does them with a backbend. Baryshnikov's version of dance step compliments the leg action with a resistant drag in...
- PAS DE TROIS. // Vanity Fair;Jan2004, Issue 521, p86
Profiles Mikhail Baryshnikov, a revered figure in American ballet whose friends, choreographer Eliot Feld and ballet dancer Damian Woetzel, will offer their talents for a show to benefit his Baryshnikov Arts Center in New York City in January 2004. Background information on the careers of...
- Wiseguy: Mikhail Baryshnikov. Gordinier, Jeff // Details;Mar2009, Vol. 27 Issue 6, p156
An interview with ballet dancer and actor Mikhail Baryshnikov is presented. He reveals that he does not celebrate birthdays. He shares that he does not enjoy watching his old performances on film. He describes his experience in the 1977 movie "The Turning Point." He discusses the one time when...