States: MSA Rules Tough To Enforce
- Conseco Settlement With SEC Ends Investigation Of Predecessor. // Insurance Advocate;3/22/2004, Vol. 115 Issue 11, p25
Focuses on the settlement of Conseco Inc. with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission related to its predecessor company. Consent to the entry of a cease and desist order to require future compliance with provisions of the securities laws.
- Kroger to pay $7 million to settle suit. // Drug Topics;11/7/2005, Vol. 149 Issue 21, p6
This article reports on the settlement by Kroger Co. of claims that inadequate security and inventory procedures allowed some employees to steal prescription drugs from its King Soopers Inc. grocery store pharmacies in Colorado. The firm will implement programs at its pharmacies nationwide to...
- Getting Getty For the poor, help with heat. // Time;12/17/1979, Vol. 114 Issue 25, p71
The article focuses on the move of petroleum companies to finance social welfare programs in the U.S. It mentions the agreement of Getty Oil Co. to pay 25 million dollars into an escrow account that will be administered by the Department of Energy (DOE) to offer relief to people in meeting their...
- Settlements should last. // Business Insurance;08/10/98, Vol. 32 Issue 32, p8
Opinion. Comments on structured settlement payments in the United States. Reference to legislation on the structured settlements; Details on the measure proposed by Representatives E. Clay Shaw Jr. and Fortney Stark; Citing of an excise tax penalty.
- LatAm structured finance to bloom in hard times ahead? Corrigan, Colleen // Asset Securitization Report;10/8/2001, Vol. 1 Issue 38, p22
Focuses on the forecasted prevalence of structured finance transactions in the Latin American market. Increase in the volume of future flows deals; Impact of global hardships on securitization; Reasons for the willingness of investors to take on structured deals.
- Structured settlement cos. target new markets. Crosson, Cynthia // National Underwriter / Life & Health Financial Services;11/15/93, Vol. 97 Issue 46, p10
Highlights alternative market potentials for structured settlement annuities. Workers' compensation and environmental claims; Typical beneficiary; Provisions under the tax code; Tax treatment and the assignment of liability for environmental cleanup.
- Buyers take structure out of structured settlements. Bell, Allison // National Underwriter / Life & Health Financial Services;7/21/97, Vol. 101 Issue 29, p7
Reports that the turning of annuity rights used to settle lawsuits into cash, are being practiced by members of the National Association of Settlement Purchasers (NASP). Comments from David Lewis, a spokesman for a member of the NASP's association; Why settlement purchasers rose; Arguments of...
- Mining for prospects in structured settlement Mkt. McNay, Don // National Underwriter / Life & Health Financial Services;12/02/96, Vol. 100 Issue 49, p7
Presents information on the industry of using structured settlement annuities to settle personal injury claims. How insurance agents can participate in the business; Traditional purchase of structured settlements.
- New markets are emerging for SS annuities. Shumate, W. Christian // National Underwriter / Life & Health Financial Services;7/17/95, Vol. 99 Issue 29, p21
Reports on environmental clean-up settlements as a growing market in the structured settlement industry. Definition of structured settlements; Rise in use of structured settlements; Growth fostered by increasing recognition of underlying value of structured settlement; Uses in other areas of...