For the IC, the Job Is Bigger Than the Person
- Command Safety Two. BRUNACINI, ALAN // Fire Engineering;Mar2011, Vol. 164 Issue 3, p88
The article looks at the standard command functions in the incident command system (ICS) used by firefighters in hazard zone safety system. The importance of the deployment of appropriate resources is attributed to the fact that it creates a standard work cycle describing the basic...
- More Cool School. BRUNACINI, ALAN // Fire Engineering;Dec2008, Vol. 161 Issue 12, p152
The article discusses how fire chiefs can help train incident commanders (IC) to remain calm on the fireground or during difficult situations. It emphasizes the importance for an IC to master self-control. It stresses the need for IC to develop the ability to use tactical patterns and to control...
- Cylical Plan Keeps Command on Course. Linstrom, John // Fire Chief;May2005, Vol. 49 Issue 5, p20
Discusses the development of a model incident command system for fighters to manage large-scale events. Importance of training and simulation to prepare the fire officers to make better decisions; Need for skill courses as a logical step after formal ICS coursework; Method for providing good...
- Firin'advICE. // Minnesota Fire Chief;May/Jun2005, Vol. 41 Issue 5, p9
Presents answers to questions on the fire fighting profession in the U.S. Suggestions on the concern of a fire department employee on the noticeable absence of their fire chief during working week; Advice for an officer in a volunteer fire department who aspires to become a fire chief.
- If only I had Known... Anderson, Jeff // Minnesota Fire Chief;May/Jun2005, Vol. 41 Issue 5, p31
Discusses the responsibilities of being a fire chief. Role of a fire chief in the safety and security of the community; Decisions associated with the proper training and equipment of firefighters; Importance of balancing duties and responsibilities as a fire chief and as a family member.
- Work Horse or Show Horse? Gasaway, Richard B. // Minnesota Fire Chief;Nov/Dec2005, Vol. 42 Issue 2, p38
The article offers several recommendations to ensure the functionality of a fire chief. A fire chief must serve as an example to fire fighters. Being a loyal leader imitates the same behavior to subordinates. Ideal fire chiefs know how to be good leaders.
- Darwin and the volunteer fire service. Coleman, Ronny // Fire Chief Expert Blog;9/15/2013, p1
The article presents information on volunteer fire chiefs in the U.S. It states that, though, volunteer fire chiefs are not paid for their services, but their duties are no less than the fire chiefs who receive compensation. However, volunteer fire chiefs have to spend limited time period in...
- Fire Chief -- Ross Valley Fire Department (San Anselmo, Calif.). // Fire Chief Expert Blog;10/ 2/2013, p1
The article announces that the Ross Valley Fire Department Board of Directors is conducting a national search for a committed fire professional to serve as the next Fire Chief to supervise a staff of 32 firefighters and 15 volunteers with an operating budget of 8,347,188 U.S. dollars annually.
- How to get the right person for the right job. Sells, Peter // Fire Engineering;Jan1999, Vol. 152 Issue 1, p62
Gives advice on hiring qualified people in the fire department. Establishment of the job description, which applicants are expected to meet; Assessment of the candidates based on required competencies; Conduction of an information session; Interview panel assembly; Conduction of interviews;...