VERMONT'S TRADITION OF EDUCATION AND THE VERMONT CONSTITUTION
- SQA Bill. // EPM Weekly Bulletin;3/18/2002, Issue 83, p20
Reports the disputes over the Scottish Qualifications Authority (SQA) Bill in Europe. Concerns over reforming the governance arrangements of the SQA; Creation of an advisory council of stakeholders to advise the board; Focus on SQA qualifications and functions.
- Miami-Dade School Board Establishes Ethics Panel. Bradley, Ann // Education Week;10/31/2001, Vol. 21 Issue 9, p4
Reports on the creation of school advisory ethics panel in Miami-Dade County, Florida. Members of the panel; Expectations on the change of state law allowing the panel to wield powers; Agreement of the board members to make the change a priority in the agenda for the 2002 legislative session.
- Governors and the Education Bill. Adams, John // Education Journal;Jan2002, Issue 59, p10
Focuses on the impact of the Education Bill, published on November 22, 2001, on school governors in Great Britain. Governing body responsibilities; Flexibility and central control of schools; Proposal to grant to governing bodies the power to form or invest in limited companies.
- Chaotic Fla. Session Puts School Issues On Hold. Richard, Alan // Education Week;4/17/2002, Vol. 21 Issue 31, p21
Focuses on the legislation of laws governing education system in Florida. Revisions of state education laws; Plans on the basis of the salaries of school boards; Changes in the higher education system.
- Local board to look closer at charter schools. Burton, Terri // New Orleans CityBusiness (1994 to 2008);6/19/95, Vol. 15 Issue 50, p6
Reports on the reaction by school boards in New Orleans, Louisiana to charter schools legislation in the state. Speculations of dissent among local educators; Specifications in the bill designed to compromise with the Louisiana Federation of Teachers; Concerns on the system of measurement used...
- Put kids first, not politics. // Crain's Detroit Business;03/22/99, Vol. 15 Issue 12, p8
Comments on the Michigan House of Representatives' passage of a school reform bill. Snub of Detroit, Michigan Mayor Dennis Archer than a prescription for improving schools that serve schoolchildren; Empowerment of Archer to appoint a school board that will select a chief executive officer for...
- Proposed Amendments to the Constitution and the Bylaws of the Student Council for Exceptional Children. // Exceptional Children;Jan1987, Vol. 53 Issue 4, p369
The article presents an action related to the constitution and bylaws of the student council for exceptional children (CEC). The Board of Governors of the student CEC authored the proposal of the amendment of their constitution and wanted it to be changed. The articles to be amended include the...
- Calif. awaits school board's action on Prop.227 waivers. Johnston, Robert C. // Education Week;09/09/98, Vol. 18 Issue 1, p33
Reports that the California state school board is expected to respond to restrictions released by the state of California on bilingual education, with reference to the passage of Proposition 227, an initiative which requires schools to teach limited-English-proficient students in English. ...
- Court rejects appeal in Chicago school-council case. Walsh, Mark // Education Week;6/19/96, Vol. 15 Issue 39, p24
Reports on the US Supreme Court's removal of the final legal obstacle over the Illinois law that creates local governing councils for each of Chicago's public schools. Rejection of an appeal from a group of Chicago principals who argued that the composition of the school council violates a...