- Credit: The Contagion Spreads Eastward. Cardais, S. Adam // Transitions Online;11/3/2008, p1
The article reports on the financial crisis that spanned in the entire continent of Europe as of 2008. It states that the International Monetary Fund (IMF) was negotiating multibillion dollar bailout packages for Ukraine and Hungary, in which the latter of which had already received a nearly $7...
- A Hedge, Not a Bet. Kamil, Herman; Sutton, Bennett W.; Walker, Chris // Finance & Development;Jun2009, Vol. 46 Issue 2, p46
The article focuses on foreign currency liabilities as a technique in coping with global financial woes. It specifically notes the vulnerability of the corporate sector in Latin America to exchange rates changes from 1994 to 2007 as stated by a study of the International Monetary Fund in 2008....
- Asian problems and the IMF. Meltzer, Allan H. // CATO Journal;Winter98, Vol. 17 Issue 3, p267
Discusses the financial crisis that affected Asia, and the role played by the International Monetary Fund (IMF). Three principals which have been shown to be major reasons for financial failures; How IMF programs contribute to a gap between the social risk and the private risk borne by bankers;...
- Financial Crises: Causes, Consequences, and Remedies. Adelman, Irma // Choices: The Magazine of Food, Farm & Resource Issues;1999 2nd Quarter, Vol. 14 Issue 2, p1
Editorial. Focuses on the financial crises facing the International Monetary Fund's (IMF) member countries. Common features of the financial crises; Factors that contributed to the crises.
- Failure of the Fund. Stiglitz, Joseph E. // Harvard International Review;Summer2001, Vol. 23 Issue 2, p14
Discusses the failure of the International Monetary Fund's (IMF) response to the Asian financial crisis as of June 2001. Philosophy of the IMF; Comments on the irony in the policies pursued by the IMF; Evolution of the IMF; Factors contributing to the policy blunders of IMF.
- Congress should throw support behind IMF efforts in Asia crisis. LaFalce, John J. // American Banker;3/5/1998, Vol. 163 Issue 43, p4
Comments on the debate by Congress as to whether the United States (US) should support the International Monetary Fund's (IMF) effort to aid in Asia's financial crisis. Amount which the administration of American President Bill Clinton requested to borrow; What will be the result if the US and...
- In Defense of the IMF. Specialized Tools for a Specialized Task. Fischer, Stanley // Foreign Affairs;Jul/Aug1998, Vol. 77 Issue 4, p103
Presents a response to an article by Martin Feldstein titled `Refocusing the IMF,' which appeared in the March/April 1998 issue of `Foreign Affairs.'
- The IMF as crisis manager: an assessment of the strategy in Asia and its criticisms. Cardim de Carvalho, Fernando J. // Journal of Post Keynesian Economics;Winter2000/2001, Vol. 23 Issue 2, p235
Presents information on a study which assessed the strategy employed by the International Monetary Fund during the Asian financial crisis from 1997 to 1998. Outline on the financial crisis; Details on the adjustment strategy used; Criticism of the strategy.
- Democracy makes fiscal sense. Crawford, Craig // National Journal;3/07/98, Vol. 30 Issue 10, p536
Discusses the financial crisis facing Asian countries and on the role of the International Monetary Fund (IMF) in helping the countries. Proposal presented by Representative Barney Frank concerning democracy and human rights in countries receiving United States' aids; Actions taken by recipient...