Rough Guides Eyeing More U.S. Growth
- Beyond the Blue Horizon. // Publishers Weekly;8/16/2004, Vol. 251 Issue 33, p5
Discusses the increasing trend in the travel market and its economic impact on the publishing industry. Reason behind the optimism of publishers towards the demand for travel guidebooks; Impact of tragic events on the tourism industry; Plan of publishers to update travel guidebooks; Strategy of...
- When the Going Gets Tough&hellips;. Mantell, Suzanne // Publishers Weekly;6/3/2002, Vol. 249 Issue 22, p38
Explores the economic prospects facing travel publishers in the U.S. for 2002. Outlook of Stuart Dolgins, president of the Langenscheidt Publishing Group on adventure travel books; Growth opportunities at Rough Guides; Fall lineup of Sasquatch. INSETS: Looking Down the Road;Let's Keep Going!.
- Rough Guides Business Heading South. Dyer, Lucinda // Publishers Weekly;8/16/2004, Vol. 251 Issue 33, p36
Deals with the business strategies of travel guidebook publisher Rough Guides. Information on the Directions series of the company; Titles included in the series; Biggest challenge for publishers according to Rough Guides marketing director Geoff Colquitt.
- Penguin U.K. buys majority stake in rough guides. // Publishers Weekly;1/13/1997, Vol. 244 Issue 2, p16
Reports that Penguin U.K. has acquired a 51% stake in Rough Guides Ltd. Rough Guides' backlist; Its online business in conjunction with `HotWired.'
- LEFTIST PLANET. MOYNIHAN, MICHAEL // Foreign Policy;Sep/Oct2012, Issue 195, p87
In this article the author discusses travel guides published by the companies Lonely Planet and Rough Guides, and explores ways in which the publications depict the political, social, and economic conditions of countries that have been ruled by dictators, such as Cuba, North Korea, and Libya....
- Natalie Hoare in conversation with . . . Mark Ellingham. // Geographical (Geographical Magazine Ltd.);May2007, Vol. 79 Issue 5, p114
An interview with Mark Ellingham, co-founder of guidebook and reference publisher Rough Guides, is presented. He details how he got into travel publishing and offers a background on his career in writing. He explains the factors contributing to the success of the company. He also offers his...
- Touring on a Shoestring. Robbins, Sarah // Publishers Weekly;1/28/2008, Vol. 255 Issue 4, p29
The article discusses the impact of the weakened U.S. economy on travel publishing. The Travel Industry Association of America projects moderate gains for 2008. The 17-title "Spend Less, See More" travel guides written by the daughter of travel guide legend Arthur Frommer and launched in 2006 is...
- Rough Guides offer a rock guide on the web. Reid, Calvin // Publishers Weekly;9/30/1996, Vol. 243 Issue 40, p15
Relates that travel-guide publisher Rough Guides is using the World Wide Web to write and update its forthcoming book `Encyclopedia of Rock.' Use of music fans and Web users to write the company's book on rock `n' roll music.
- New Book Industry Survey Shows Robust Ebook Sales. Kelley, Michael // Library Journal;9/1/2011, Vol. 136 Issue 14, p12
The article reports that the annual survey of the total U.S. book publishing industry released August 9, 2011 shows growing revenue especially from ebook sales.