Panel Discussion: Civic Education
- Civic Education: Recent History, Current Status, and the Future. Quigley, Charles N. // Albany Law Review;1999, Vol. 62 Issue 4, p1425
Provides information on a study which developed standards on educational policy-making in states and school districts of the United States (US). History of civic education; Inadequacy in educational policies in the US; Support from government agencies to improve the standards of education.
- TOWARD THE ENGAGED ACADEMY. Schneider, Carol Geary // Liberal Education;Winter2001, Vol. 87 Issue 1, p18
Discusses the role of curriculum enrichment of universities and colleges in fostering civic engagement and social responsibility in the United States. Teaching strategies of academies that contribute to civic engagement; Implications of civic renewal on the development of citizenship and civic...
- So condemn them, already! Elvin, John // Insight on the News;07/27/98, Vol. 14 Issue 27, p35
Presents information on a report by the National Commission on Civic Renewal which indicates that Americans feel powerless when it comes to fulfilling their civic duties. Who Americans blame for the situation; Who funded the study; Comments from Bill Bennet, former education secretary.
- South Tucson plans Fourth Ave. face lift. Leon, Maria // Inside Tucson Business;02/02/98, Vol. 7 Issue 45, p1
Reports that the city of South Tucson will soon launch a revitalization effort on South Fourth Avenue in Tucson, Arizona. Purpose of the development project; Development plans included in the project; Advantages of the project; Projected date of project completion; Source of funding.
- Civic culture and democracy from Europe to America. Rice, Tom W.; Feldman, Jan L. // Journal of Politics;Nov97, Vol. 59 Issue 4, p1143
Presents a study on the persistence of the contemporary descendants of the civic cultures of European immigrants and the United States. Indication of the data used from the World Values Survey; Comparison of the attitudes of both descendants; Discussion on the findings.
- New name picked for IC SSMID. // Corridor Business Journal;4/30/2012, Vol. 8 Issue 40, p13
The article reports that the name of the Iowa City Downtown Iowa City Self Supported Municipal Improvement District (SSMID) has been changed to the Iowa City Downtown District in 2012.
- Heart starters. Kyriakopoulos, Vikki // Bulletin with Newsweek;12/31/96-1/1/97, Vol. 116 Issue 6053, p19
Discusses civic improvements in the works for Melbourne, Australia. The efforts to revitalize Swanston Street; The demolition of the water-wall of the city square; The revamping of the city square; The development of Federation Square; Plans from Melbourne Lord Mayor Ivan Deveson; The impact of...
- Detroit should cut departments, alter tax collection, study says. Ankeny, Robert // Crain's Detroit Business;2/3/2003, Vol. 19 Issue 5, p21
Cites a study conducted by the Committee on Operational and Financial Re-engineering which suggests the need for the centralization of departmental functions in Detroit, Michigan. Urge made by the Committee to the city mayor to provide effective customer service; Need for scrutiny of the city's...
- A great national undertaking. // World & I;Jul96, Vol. 11 Issue 7, p86
Presents suggestions from prominent Americans regarding a national project that combines the elements of patriotism, democracy and citizenship and which involves every American. Includes Newt Gingrich's encouragement for every adult to educate children about the significance of the Declaration...