San Francisco Library Looking at Deficits After Prop. 81 Fails
- SF Panel Nixes PL Friends Deal. Rogers, Michael; Oder, Norman // Library Journal;9/1/2000, Vol. 125 Issue 14, p137
Mentions that the San Francisco Supervisors Finance and Labor Committee refused a proposal ordinance to endorse a memorandum of understanding between the San Francisco Public Library and its merged Friends and Foundation in California. Criticism of the fundraising group's plan to rent space in...
- Reference-for-fee service stirs debate at SFPL. J.K. // American Libraries;Sep95, Vol. 26 Issue 8, p750
Reports on the launching of a program by the San Francisco Public Library in California offering in-depth reference services for a fee. Objections from librarians and patrons regarding the reference-for-fee service; Approval of Library Express program from the San Francisco Board of Library...
- A mall for the mind. Shapiro, Laura; Malone, Maggie // Newsweek;10/21/1996, Vol. 128 Issue 17, p84
Focuses on New Main, the San Francisco Public Library's building that opened in April 1996. Why, in October 1996, some people remain critical of the high-technology focus of the library; Controversy ranging from the disposal of books to the proposed elimination of the card catalog; Examples of...
- The city of hills. // School Library Journal;Dec96, Vol. 42 Issue 12, p37
Reports on developments involving the San Francisco Public Library in California. Actor Robin Williams' reading to children at the library's opening; Opening of the Chevron Teen Center.
- New Players by the Bay. St. Lifer, Evan // Library Journal;6/1/1997, Vol. 122 Issue 10, p44
Focuses on the San Francisco Public Library (SFPL) system in California. Why SFPL Acting Director Kathy Page hopes that a 1997 sweeping library audit by the Mayor's Office will mark the beginning of more prosperous times for the beleaguered system; What was revealed in the audit; Complaints...
- Mayor orders San Francisco PL audit. // American Libraries;Dec96, Vol. 27 Issue 11, p16
Looks at the reaction of San Francisco Mayor Willie Brown to a disclosed $2-million deficit in the budget of the San Francisco Public Library (SPFL). Brown's cal for an audit of the library system; Criticisms of the SPFL since it opened its new central facility in April 1996.
- SFPL issues audit, Dowlin responds. // American Libraries;Jun/Jul97, Vol. 28 Issue 6, p33
Reports on an independent audit of the San Francisco Public Library as of June 1997. The commissioning of the audit in response to Mayor Willie Brown's criticism of the library's management; The 17 major conclusions of the report; Recommendations of the audit; The resignation of City Librarian...
- LAUREATES LOVE LIBRARIES. // Library Journal;6/1/1997, Vol. 122 Issue 10, p18
Features a photograph of United States Poet Laureate Robert Hass and author Amy Tan who served as co-chairs of the San Francisco Public Library New Main's first anniversary reception and dinner. Who attended the celebration; Money raised at the event.
- Audit: SFPL Faces $700K Deficit. Oder, Norman; St. Lifer, Evan // Library Journal;5/15/1997, Vol. 122 Issue 9, p16
Reports that the audit of the San Francisco Public Library (SFPL) revealed the library is $700,000 in the red, according to leaked information. Briefing of Mayor Willie Brown about the deficit figure; Suggestion by Brown that the city made a mistake when it abandoned the Old Main structure;...