School Funding on Ballot?
- Life Sciences Score: Southeast 13, Kent 1. // Grand Rapids Business Journal;6/9/2003, Vol. 21 Issue 23, p4
Focuses on the direct Michigan Economic Development Corp. (MEDC) grants for the Life Sciences component, announced by Governor Jennifer Granholm as of June 9, 2003. Grants awarded to universities; Assessment of the grants' geographic distribution; Purpose of creating the MEDC.
- Michigan Governor Orders $158 Million of Cuts From Budget. Carvlin, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;2/21/2003, Vol. 343 Issue 31577, p3
Reports on governor of Michigan Jennifer Granholm's decision to reduce $158 million from the budget appropriations for fiscal year 2003. Factors responsible for fiscal deficit; Amount reduced in School Aid Budget; Reference to Ohio's fiscal conditions.
- Michigan's Granholm Begins to Sign Off On $43B Fiscal '08 Budget. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;11/1/2007, Vol. 362 Issue 32746, p52
The article reports on the signing of 17 bills by Michigan Governor Jennifer Granholm, which make up the state's $43 billion fiscal 2008 budget after law-makers approved the final pieces of the spending plan. The budget represents a 2.4 percent increase over the $42.4 billion budget for fiscal...
- Progress unlikely in current climate. // Grand Rapids Business Journal;2/9/2009, Vol. 27 Issue 6, p16
The author comments on the State of the State speech delivered by Michigan Governor Jennifer Granholm. The author criticizes Granholm for introducing more burden for businesses in the state. The author relates the state budget cuts and the proposals outlined by Granholm to help Michigan cope...
- Michigan Still Angling for $1B Tobacco Deal to Fund Jobs Program. Carvlin, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;10/7/2005, Vol. 354 Issue 32234, p39
Reports on the details of a tobacco settlement securitization in part on negotiations for the elimination of Chicago' single business tax in Illinois. Continued effort of Governor Jennifer Granholm to the securitization to fund jobs program using general obligation bonds; Motor fuel taxes and...
- Granholm, Republicans strike budget deal. Lane, Amy // Crain's Detroit Business;7/3/2006, Vol. 22 Issue 27, p2
The article reports that Michigan Governor Jennifer Granholm and Republican legislative leaders have reached a tentative budget agreement that includes funding increases for schools, colleges and universities. The agreement for fiscal 2007 includes an overall 3 percent increase in operations...
- Michigan's $45B Budget Calls for Refinancing, Not New Taxes. Devitt, Caitlin // Bond Buyer;2/8/2008, Vol. 363 Issue 32812, p40
The article reports on the presentation of the $44.8 billion fiscal 2009 budget for Michigan by Gov. Jennifer Granholm on February 7, 2008. The all-funds budget is 2.9% higher than the 2008 budget, revealing an anticipation of $9.86 billion general fund revenues and $9.85 billion appropriations...
- Kent To Lose $1.1M From State. Czurak, David // Grand Rapids Business Journal;12/22/2003, Vol. 21 Issue 51, p3
Reports on the revenue sharing funds to be received by Kent County, Michigan in 2004. Reason for the decline in revenue sharing funds; Impact of the budget reduction initiative of Michigan Governor Jennifer Granholm.
- River Rouge Under Review. Devitt, Caitlin // Bond Buyer;10/28/2009, Vol. 370 Issue 33207, p9
The article reports on the move of Governor Jennifer Granholm to appoint a team to review the finances of River Rouge in Michigan. It states that the move to review the city's finances in May 2009 after determining that the city had imposed two pension-related judgment levies without the...