Surgical Treatment of the Cardiac Manifestations of Relapsing Polychondritis: Overview of 33 Patients Identified Through Literature Review and the Mayo Clinic Records
- Sotalol: A rescue drug in the face of life-threatening refractory ventricular tachycardia. Kandasamy, Ashok; Arumugham, Sukumar; Krupanandha, Harshavardhan; Reddy, Bhaktavatsala // Annals of Cardiac Anaesthesia;Apr-Jun2014, Vol. 17 Issue 2, p170
We describe postoperative refractory ventricular tachycardia (VT) in a patient following aortic and mitral valve replacement. Following an uneventful separation from cardiopulmonary bypass with dobutamine, the patient developed recurrent VT, 4 hours into the postoperative period. The VT did not...
- Bileaflet mechanical prostheses for aortic valve replacement in patients younger than 65 years and 65 years of age or older: Major thromboembolic and hemorrhagic complications. Jamieson, W.R. Eric; Miyagishima, Robert T.; Grunkemeier, Gary L.; Germann, Eva; Henderson, Charmaine; Lichtenstein, Samuel V.; Ling, Hilton; Munro, A. Ian // Canadian Journal of Surgery;Feb99, Vol. 42 Issue 1, p27
Examines the major thromboembolic and hemorrhagic complications and predictive risk factors associated with aortic valve replacement (AVR) using bileaflet mechanical prostheses. Profile of the patients; Incidence of coronary artery disease; Major thromboembolic and hemorrhagic complications...
- Deep hypothermic circulatory arrest. Conolly, Sarah; Arrowsmith, Joseph E.; Klein, Andrew A. // Continuing Education in Anaesthesia, Critical Care & Pain;Oct2010, Vol. 10 Issue 5, p138
The article presents a study on the use of deep hypothermic circulatory arrest (DHCA) in the anesthetic management of cardiac surgery and preservation of organ function. Patients undergoing elective surgery with DHCA are given sedatives such as corticosteroids to decrease the release of...
- Aortic root to left-atrial fistula after aortic valve replacement: A rare complication and its intraoperative management. Ahmad, Tanveer; Chithiraichelvan, Satish; Ayangouda Patil, Thimmangouda; Jawali, Vivek // Annals of Cardiac Anaesthesia;Apr-Jun2014, Vol. 17 Issue 2, p155
Aorto-atrial fistula is a rare complication of prosthetic aortic valve replacement (AVR) and most of them have been diagnosed as a late complication. We present a case of this unusual complication after AVR. Intraoperative transoesophageal echocardiography identified and diagnosed this rare and...
- Scoring complications after congenital heart surgery: gut feelings versus calculations. Boethig, Dietmar // European Journal of Cardio-Thoracic Surgery;Apr2012, Vol. 41 Issue 4, p904
In this article, the author reflects on scoring system proposed by S. Sata to measure complications after congenital heart surgery. He presents the points in favor of scoring system mentioning that the system measures postoperative complications. He also discusses the precautionary factors of...
- Resultados de la revascularizaciÃ³n miocÃ¡rdica sin derivaciÃ³n cardiopulmonar en pacientes femeninas. Guzmán-González, Ricardo; Careaga-Reyna, Guillermo; Cardoza-Pacheco, Hugo; Argüero-Sánchez, Rubén // Cirugia y Cirujanos;ene/feb2008, Vol. 76 Issue 1, p29
Background: Women have more risk factors for coronary bypass graft surgery such as diabetes, high blood pressure, obesity, heart failure and shorter height (less body surface), compared with men. However, off-pump coronary artery bypass grafting demonstrates more benefits in females because it...
- Late left ventricular pseudoaneurysm following transfemoral transcatheter aortic valve replacement. Noack, Thilo; Kiefer, Philipp; Mohr, Friedrich-Wilhelm; Holzhey, David Michael // European Journal of Cardio-Thoracic Surgery;Jul2015, Vol. 48 Issue 1, p172
The article presents a case study of 79-year old woman who develops left ventricular (LV) apical pseudoaneurysm after undergoing a transfemoral transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR).
- Preoperative investigations. Sutherland, Joanna // Australian Prescriber;Aug2015, Vol. 38 Issue 4, p113
A letter to the editor is presented in response to the article "Preoperative assessment: a cardiologist's perspective" is presented.
- ASK THE DOCTORS. // Heart Advisor;Jan2014, Vol. 17 Issue 1, p12
The article presents questions and answers related to health which include the impact of long distance running to heart associated with a history of heart disease and blood pressure monitoring after aortic valve replacement.