Your Thoughts on the News
- HIGH-PERFORMANCE HR FOR LOW-WAGE WORKERS. Young, Lesley // HR Professional;May/Jun2011, Vol. 28 Issue 4, p22
The article explores the impact of human resource (HR) management practices on low-wage service workers in Canada. It mentions the benefits of employers in investing on low-wage positions, which include reducing turnover and encouraging organization's bottom-line success. HR practices to...
- Tips for seasonal staffing. TIERNEY, JIM // Multichannel Merchant (Penton Media, Inc.);Sep2011, Vol. 7 Issue 7, p40
The article offers tips to merchants on hiring and managing seasonal operations employees. It suggests keeping in contact with top workers from previous holiday season for possible rehiring. Other tips include developing a strong relationship with staffing agencies, involving managers and team...
- Statistics need to know... // Personnel Today;2/10/2009, p38
The article presents statistics on several issues related to personnel management including unfair dismissal, national minimum wage, and parental leave.
- Guarantee payments. Reade, Quentin // Personnel Today;2/10/2004, p51
This article presents a standard personnel management practice on guarantee payments. An employee who is not provided with work throughout a day or shift on which he or she is normally required to work will be entitled to a guarantee payment, if he or she has been continuously employed for at...
- IN BRIEF. // People Management;6/12/2003, Vol. 9 Issue 12, p9
Presents news briefs on personnel management in Great Britain as of June 12, 2003. Proposal for the pay increase of homeworkers earning less than the minimum wage; Diversity training at the London School of Economics in England; Impact of stress on labor productivity.
- Hr benchmarker. // Personnel Today;11/8/2005, p54
This article presents information about the employment rules currently prevailing in Austria. It is informed that there is no national minimum wage in place. Collective agreements and minimum wage rates generally determine the minimum wage payable. Moreover, employees in Austria get five weeks'...
- Statistics you need to know... // Personnel Today;9/30/2008, p46
The article presents several charts related to personnel management including the right of employees in case of unfair dismissal, statutory maternity pay and minimum wages.
- SELLING PEOPLE SHORT. Bignold, Dan // Caterer & Hotelkeeper;6/23/2005, Vol. 194 Issue 4379, p30
Focuses on the challenges being faced by the hospitality industry in dealing with employment agencies and facilities management companies that are in charge of employing permanent and temporary staff into jobs in Great Britain. National minimum wage imposed by the government for lowest-paid...
- hr benchmarker. // Personnel Today;4/11/2006, p58
The article presents information on employment related facts of Spain. It is informed that pre-employment checks and references are not common in the country. If they are requested then they are carried out in an informal way. In Spain, collective agreements stipulate the length of any...