Going Wild About Nuts
- Nuts: The American Position. Strahan, T. Martin // Asia Pacific Journal of Clinical Nutrition;2004 Supplement, Vol. 13, pS33
The main concern with nuts in our diet relates to fat content, calories consumed, and allergic risk. I will discuss these issues, as well as, focus on the nutrient content of nuts. The role of nuts in the American diet, as recommended by the American Heart Association, American Dietetic...
- Fat consumption. // Healthy Weight Journal;Mar/Apr1999, Vol. 13 Issue 2, p18
Reports on the decrease in fat consumption of adults in the United States from 1965 to 1995. Gender differences in fat intake; Foods that cause increase in calories consumption.
- recipes. Hunter, Fiona // Foods Matter (USA);Feb2008, p20
The article offers information on nutritional content of a recipe. According to the author, saturated, mono- and polyunsaturated fats do not always add up to the total fat figure, which includes small quantities of phospholipids and sterols. The author adds that the analysis only includes salt...
- The Meat You Won't Miss. // Prevention;Jan2009, Vol. 61 Issue 1, p61
The article recommends replacing beef with mushrooms in recipes as a way to significantly cut calories. Johns Hopkins University researchers have found that people feel just as full eating mushroom based dishes as they do eating beef based dishes such as chili or lasagna. They also consumed...
- Eat...more! Newgent, Jackie // Glamour;Jan2009, Vol. 107 Issue 1, 62 p62
The article compares the calories and fat grams found in two types of soup. Details are provided about the fat and caloric content of a twelve-ounce can of broccoli cheddar soup. The fat and caloric content of the broccoli soup is compared with the fat and caloric content of a twelve-ounce can...
- HEAT IT UP. Sanchez, Elizabeth // Men's Fitness;Apr2008, Vol. 24 Issue 3, p28
The article offers information on the caloric and total fat content of several major sandwich brands. They include Healthy Choice Smoked Chicken Panini, South Beach Diet Chicken Monterey Wraps, Lean Pockets Chicken, Broccoli & Cheddar and Stouffer's Grilled Chicken Italian Panini.
- FAST-FOOD FIXES. // Men's Fitness;Jun/Jul2007, Vol. 23 Issue 5, p32
The article discusses the nutritional content of dark chicken meat and offers food preparation tips. Dark meat has more flavor and denser supply of nutrients compared to chicken breast. To lower fat and calorie contents, it is suggested to peel off some of the chicken skin. Pairing chicken meat...
- 5 healthy sandwich swaps. Saelinger, Tracy // Glamour;Mar2007, Vol. 105 Issue 3, p152
The article offers healthy alternatives to typical lunch sandwiches from registered dietician Carolyn O'Neil. Sandwiches that are discussed include a cold-cut sandwich, a turkey sandwich, and a tuna salad sandwich. The caloric and fat contents of each sandwich are provided. Different sandwich...
- THE FAT-FIGHTER'S BIBLE. Piszczek, Carole // Prevention;Jun89, Vol. 41 Issue 6, p83
Presents data on the total number of calories, the amount of fat in grams and the percentage of calories from fat, of fast foods, deli fare, nuts, seeds and desserts. Type of food; Serving size; Total calories; Fat content; Total calories from fat.