Chicago School Budget
- Chicago Budget Seeks $280M in Tax Hikes. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;10/11/2007, Vol. 362 Issue 32731, p4
The article reports on the move of Chicago, Illinois Mayor Richard Daley to unveil a proposed $5.94 billion budget for 2008 that relies on about $280 million in new and increased fees and taxes. It includes a record $108 million property tax increase, to close a $200 million deficit and cover...
- School plan falls behind. Mullman, Jeremy; Hinz, Greg // Crain's Chicago Business;2/6/2006, Vol. 29 Issue 6, p1
The article reports that Renaissance 2010, Chicago Mayor Richard M. Daley's ambitious plan to create 100 new schools, is struggling to meet its fundraising goals. People familiar with the program's progress say it may not be able to reach the mayor's $50-million target. Failure to reach that...
- Daley: No Property Tax Hike, But Chicago May See Cuts in Services. SHIELDS, YVETTE // Bond Buyer;8/5/2010, Vol. 373 Issue 33362, p3
The article reports that Chicago, Illinois Mayor Richard Daley has said that there will not be any raise in property taxes, but warned that the city may be forced to cut some services as there is debt of dollars 654.7 million in the next budget.
- Daley seeking tax advocates' Holy Grail. Hinz, Greg // Crain's Chicago Business;07/17/2000, Vol. 23 Issue 30, p4
Reports on the efforts of Chicago, Illinois mayor Richard Daley to push for fundamental property tax reform. Concept of swapping income taxes for property taxes; Impact of the proposed swap on tax payers; Arguments for and against the tax swap.
- Tough talk alone won't win property tax reforms. // Crain's Chicago Business;07/17/2000, Vol. 23 Issue 30, p10
Reflects on the efforts of Chicago, Illinois mayor Richard Daley to address the problem of escalating property taxes. Daley's admission that he has no tax reform strategy to propose; Other efforts to end the state's overdependence on property taxes.
- City Hall nears school chief pick. // Crain's Chicago Business;6/5/95, Vol. 18 Issue 23, p46
Speculates on the choices of Chicago mayor Richard M. Daley for new positions in the Chicago Public Schools board. Gery Chico as possible president of the school board.
- Keeping school reform on the move is Daley's job. // Crain's Chicago Business;06/04/2001, Vol. 24 Issue 23, p10
Comments on the capacity of Mayor Richard Daley's administration to implement reforms for the public school system in Chicago, Ililnois. Concerns over the budgetary woes that will affect the system; Questions on Daley's ability to resolve differences with a confrontational teachers' union.
- Chicago `superboard' negotiates teacher pact, pares budget. Schmidt, Peter // Education Week;9/6/95, Vol. 15 Issue 1, p10
Reports on the moves of the board appointed by Chicago Mayor Richard M. Daley to run the Chicago public schools. Includes negotiation of a teacher contract; Restoration of financial stability; Launch of plans to eliminate waste and corruption; Praise from various sectors; Possibility of...
- Chi. school deal? It's in Pate's hands. // Crain's Chicago Business;8/30/93, Vol. 16 Issue 35, p1
Speculates on the Senate's approval of changes for a Chicago Public Schools financing plan announced by Mayor Richard Daley. Schedule for General Assembly; Senate Republicans' attempt to scale back the borrowing package; Need for the easing of several state restrictions; Plan's dependence on...