MISSISSIPPI: Settlement Stubbed Out
- Bermuda. Lowe, David // Lawyer;6/13/2005, Vol. 19 Issue 23, p24
The article examines the legal provisions of Great Britain's Trustee Act 1925. At a cursory first glance, Section 47 of the Trustee Act 1975 (Bermuda Islands) might be thought to replicate the substance of the English Section 57. In reality, though, what was enacted was a hybrid, combining...
- MSA Ruling Appeal. Sigo, Shelly // Bond Buyer;6/30/2005, Vol. 352 Issue 32165, p33
Reports on the decision of Mississippi Governor Haley Barbour to join the state's Division of Medicaid and Health Care Trust Fund appeal of a court order stopping the state from pursuing the return of $20 million per year in diverted tobacco settlement funds. Request presented to the state...
- Mississippi Lawmakers Locked Over Bonds; Barbour Might Veto. Sigo, Shelly // Bond Buyer;11/22/2004, Vol. 350 Issue 32015, p3
Reports on the debate among lawmakers concerning a bond bill in Mississippi. Provision of the bill that a percentage of construction contracts from most of the bond-funded projects must go to minority firms; Appointment of a joint conference committee that will resolve the differences;...
- About Turn and Notify. Perry, Patrick; Tuson, Andrew // Asia Insurance Review;Aug2008, p68
The article presents various court decisions on the effect of breaches of conditions in insurance contracts and notification requirements for claims in England. The decisions in Lexington Insurance Company & Ors vs Multinacional de Seguros SA, and the Court of Appeal in Kosmar Villa Holidays Plc...
- CONSTRUCTION--ARBITRABILITY--COUNTERCLAIMS. // Arbitration Journal;Dec77, Vol. 32 Issue 4, p297
This article presents the decision by one of the U.S. courts on the case of Walter A. Stanley & Son v. Trustees of Hackley School. The court held that the counterclaims in question were arbitrable even though the arbitration clause was not the typical broad arbitration clause. The contractor and...
- Okla. to Vote On Tobacco Trust Fund. Albanese, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;09/15/2000, Vol. 333 Issue 30976, p1
Reports the creation of a coalition for a proposed tobacco lawsuit settlement trust fund in Oklahoma. Funds for tobacco-prevention and community programs; Issuance of bonds backed by trust funds; Plan to finance a cancer research center.
- Village tables revised tobacco law, contractor yard proposal. Knight, Chris // Adirondack Daily Enterprise;4/19/2010, Vol. 117 Issue 92, p7
The article reports on the move of Healthy Infrastructure Advisory Board (HIAB) to conduct public meetings regarding the revision of tobacco laws for the benefits of children in New York.
- Allocating the tobacco money. Bennett // Treasury & Risk Management;Jul99, Vol. 9 Issue 5, p6
Focuses on the allocation tobacco settlement funds by establishing the Health Care Trust Fund in Mississippi. Advantages and goals of tobacco settlement funds; Comparison between securitized and trust fund; Implications for individuals who suffered tobacco-related diseases.
- For the Record. // Burnet Bulletin (Texas);1/18/2012, Vol. 140 Issue 3, p8B
The article offers information on various legal announcements concerning abstracts of judgment, assumed names, and deeds of trust in Burnet County, Texas.