News & Notes
- PALMETTO INTERNATIONAL PREPARATORY SCHOOL. Engebretson, Joan // SDM: Security Distributing & Marketing;Aug2004, Vol. 34 Issue 8, p54
Features the video surveillance system installed at the Palmetto International Preparatory School in Greenville, South Carolina. Components of the system; Installation challenges; Existing video technology integrated into the system; System management.
- Product Solutions. // American School & University;Sep2005, Vol. 78 Issue 1, Special Section pSS58
Evaluates several security devices that can be installed in schools. ACC25/50 Series audio evacuation from Fire-Lite Alarms/Honeywell; Acriglo safety lighting from Acrilex Inc.; SP4-TZC Telephone Zone Controller from Wheelock Inc.; DESFire encoding option from Fargo.
- United Building Security: Urban Challenges, Diverse Solutions. // Security: Solutions for Enterprise Security Leaders;Mar2004, Vol. 41 Issue 3, p22
Focuses on the employment by Martin Cramer, vice president of the Downtown Dallas Security Directors Association, of a security video system for the facility of Dallas, Texas-based United Building Security. Description of the facility; Availability of the video system on a local area network;...
- Time-sensitive Upgrade to IP Video. // Security: Solutions for Enterprise Security Leaders;Nov2006, Vol. 43 Issue 11, p52
The article discusses the upgrade on the security video system of Sho Ka Wah Casino in California. Terri Seigler implemented an advance Internet Protocol based digital surveillance system using intelligent and networking by Intelligent Edge Switches. The said installation comprised of 300...
- Guidelines for Securing the School Campus. Fiel Sr., Patrick V. // School Business Affairs;Jun2007, Vol. 73 Issue 6, p24
This article offers guidelines for creating a safe and secure learning environment. The strongest protection for access points include a combination of intrusion detection, access control and video surveillance. The outdoor areas of the campus should also be secured. It is also recommended that...
- It's Back to School, Especially for Systems. McFadden, Maggie // SDM: Security Distributing & Marketing;Jun2007 Part 1 of 2, Vol. 37 Issue 6, p10
The author reflects on strategic vertical markets in the U.S. She discusses that strategic vertical markets aims to help security dealers and systems integrators get involved and understand installations. She added that security in education settings is a growing vertical market for electronic...
- Mobile Applications Gaining Ground in Security. Freschi, Cynthia // Security: Solutions for Enterprise Security Leaders;Jul2009, Vol. 46 Issue 7, p44
The article discusses the implications of mobile and web applications in the video security and surveillance industry. It notes that mobile and web applications offer the assurance of improved security operations to more effective crime preventions via increased situational awareness. It adds...
- Let 'em In? Kennedy, Mike // American School & University;Sep2006, Vol. 79 Issue 1, pSS7
This article offers tips on how universities and colleges are monitoring "access control" to campus and buildings. Administrators often have to deal with the fact that many campuses are older and need to find a way to integrate security measures into buildings. Tips include retrofitting doors...
- School Shootings. Gardiner, Scott // Buildings;Mar2004, Vol. 98 Issue 3, p30
Focuses on the success of the installation of an electronic surveillance system from Sony in preventing school shootings at the Grossmont Union School District in San Diego County, California. Components of the surveillance system; Features of the surveillance system; Applications of the system.