Kings, Queens & Dictators
- RICH & ROYAL. // People;3/20/2006, Vol. 65 Issue 11, p195
This article looks at the lives of some of the richest members of royalty in the world, including King Abdullah Bin Abdul-Aziz of Saudi Arabia who owns one of the world's longest yachts and is worth over $26.5 billion, Queen Elizabeth II who is worth nearly $1 billion, the Grand Ducal family of...
- Royals Rolling in Riches. // Forbes Asia;9/17/2007, Vol. 3 Issue 15, p100
A list of the richest monarchs in 2007 is presented including Sultan Haji Hassanal Bolkiah, Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed al Nahyan and King Bhumibol Adulyadej.
- The Top 15. Pendleton, Devon; Vorasarun, Chaniga; von Zeppelin, Cristina; Serafin, Tatiana // Forbes Asia;9/1/2008, Vol. 4 Issue 14, p38
The article offers information on the top 15 richest royalties in the world. It lists the world's top richest royal personalities, including King Bhumibol Adulyadej of Thailand with $35 billion total asset followed by Sheik Kalifa bin Zayed of United Arab Emirates (UAE) with $23 billion....
- Haji Hassanal Bolkiah. Means, Richard // Haji Hassanal Bolkiah;2007, p1
This article presents biographical information for Haji Hassanal Bolkiah, the twenty-ninth sultan of Brunei, and considered one of the wealthiest men in the world. Bolkiah served in various political positions, including defense minister and finance minister, for Brunei. An overview of Bolkiah's...
- Asia's petro billionaires. Byrnes, Sholto // New Statesman;7/13/2009, Vol. 138 Issue 4957, p24
The article discusses the monarchy in the Asian sultanate of Brunei under the rule of Sultan Haji Hassanal Bolkiah. The central issue of the article is the significant wealth possessed by the monarch and the spendthrift ways in which he disposes of money. The article also notes that Brunei...
- A long and golden reign. // Travel Trade;6/15/2005, Special section p7
The article presents information about the political system as well as monarchy of Brunei. Brunei's monarchy forms the base of the country's identity. Brunei is ruled by Sultan and Prime Minister Hassanal Bolkiah. The Sultan has ruled since 1967, when his father Sultan Muda Omar Al Saifuddien...
- ANTIQUE AUTOCRATS. Quirk, Matthew // Atlantic;Oct2006, Vol. 298 Issue 3, p32
The article profiles the longest tenured autocrats in the world as of October 2006, noting that their common traits include enormous wealth and mental instability. Fidel Castro tops the list, having ruled Cuba for 47 consecutive years. The other despots, ordered by length of rule, are Taufa'ahau...
- The richest man in the world. Greig, Geordie // Cosmopolitan;Jun95, Vol. 218 Issue 6, p98
Profiles Brunei's billionaire Sultan Hassanal Bolkiah. Reputation as the world's richest man; Role of Islam in the Bolkiah's life; Lifestyle as a monarch; Statistics of Bolkiah's spending habits and earnings.
- Breathless in Seattle. Geier, Thom // U.S. News & World Report;11/29/93, Vol. 115 Issue 21, p14
Speculates on whether or not the sultan of Brunei left a tip at Seattle's Four Seasons Olympic Hotel like the reported $170,000 he gave to the staff at a Cyprus hotel. Hotel spokeswoman Elaine Griffin would not confirm whether the world's wealthiest man was a guest.