The Future Is Fish
- Trophy fish. Thorn, Bret // Nation's Restaurant News;8/8/2011, Vol. 45 Issue 16, p46
The article reports on the perspectives of chefs and bluefin raisers on the bluefin market. It states that despite of being included in the seafood watch list, the bluefin is still the most popular choice in the culinary industry and is claimed to be the crown jewel for high-quality sushi and...
- Report Your Bluefin. McMurray, John // Fly Fishing in Salt Waters;Jul/Aug2012, Vol. 19 Issue 4, p16
The article features the Western Atlantic Bluefin tuna. The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration said the bluefin population has been badly depleted by around 10% to 20% from their numbers in 1982 despite the fact that more fly-anglers are having more encounters with them. The demand...
- THIS MONTH IN ODYSSEY. // Odyssey;Apr2013, Vol. 22 Issue 4, p2
The article reports on the growing popularity of the Japanese fast food sushi around the world, and on the growing threat of the extinction of some species of fish especially the blue fin tuna.
- Yet another battle -- fishing versus the rest. LEE, DICK // Ausmarine;Jan2010, Vol. 32 Issue 3, p18
The article discusses the threat of shortage of the southern bluefin tuna (SBT) and the reduction of tuna allocations among international fishers as reported by the Commission for the Conservation of Southern Bluefin Tuna (CCSBT). It is stated that the CCSBT would reduce quotas for tuna by 20...
- Gold That Swims. // National Geographic;Oct2003, Vol. 204 Issue 4, preceding p1
The northern bluefin tuna Thunnus thynnus may be the most financially valuable wild animal on Earth, as of October 1, 2003. Value of one adult northern bluefin tuna is often over $10,000 and weight of one adult northern bluefin tuna is typically between 250 to 300 pounds. Brokers usually buy...
- How Sushi Went Global. Bestor, Theodore C. // Foreign Policy;Nov/Dec2000, Issue 121, p54
Describes the globalization of sushi, a Japanese dish made from bluefin tuna. Demand of Japanese consumers for tuna; Background on Japan's emergence on the global economic scene; Details on tuna's global popularity; Information on Atlantic bluefin tuna. INSETS: Stateless Fish;Tokyo's Pantry.
- GOOD WEEK. // Caterer & Hotelkeeper;9/18/2009, Vol. 199 Issue 4595, p10
The article presents some favorable developments in the hospitality industry. Soho based Italian eatery Giaconda Dining Room was named Best New Restaurant in Time Out London's Eating and Drinking Awards 2009. The European Commission is supporting a worldwide ban on catching the endangered fish...
- Building Bluefin Stocks. CUNNINGHAM, RIP // Salt Water Sportsman;Nov2013, Vol. 74 Issue 10, p30
The article presents the author's insights regarding proposed conservation practices for bluefin tunas including weaker hook for longlines, closure of the area in the Gulf of Mexico (GOM) which is the spawning ground of bluefin tunas and annual fishery cap.
- Quicksilver. Brower, Kenneth // National Geographic;Mar2014, Vol. 225 Issue 3, p66
The article focuses on the overfishing of Bluefin tuna and its value in the Japanese sushi market, mentioning three types: Atlantic, Pacific, and Southern. A brief overview of Bluefin migrations, locations, fishing patterns, and prices are presented. Other topics include Stanford University...