Calif. Cablers Make Senate Pitch
- In the States:. // CableFAX Daily;4/6/2006, Vol. 17 Issue 66, p2
Presents news briefs on issues related to cable television in the U.S. as of April 6, 2006. Decision of Comcast to launch its digital phone in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in April; Introduction of a statewide franchising bill by a lawmaker in California.
- Hoosier Loser. // CableFAX Daily;3/2/2006, Vol. 17 Issue 41, p1
Focuses on the video-franchising bill passed by the state legislature in Indiana. Implications of the bill for cable operators in the state; Problem associated with the bill; Provision of the bill on phone companies in the state.
- Surprise for Verizon in N.J. Haugsted, Linda // Multichannel News;12/5/2005, Vol. 26 Issue 51, p31
The article reports on the opposition of Verizon Communications Inc. to a video franchising draft bill sponsored by assemblyman Wilfredo Caraballo (D-Newark) in New Jersey that calls for a statewide franchise for some providers of cable television services. Verizon plans to launch video services...
- Cox Cable and Southwestern Bell join forces for UK franchises. Amdur, Meredith; Flint, Joe // Broadcasting & Cable;3/8/93, Vol. 123 Issue 10, p43
Details the agreement between Cox Cable and Southwestern Bell's UK franchise to develop and acquire cable franchises. The deal was one of the UK cable industry's largest investments to date; Cox's initial 25 percent interest in the cable TV-telephony business; Other partnerships between...
- Cable industry $200,000 blitz kills Cambridge TV franchise bid. // Library Journal;2/1/1984, Vol. 109 Issue 2, p130
Reports that the City of Cambridge, Massachusetts and the Cambridge Public Library have lost a referendum election that would disallow them to take part in the bidding for a cable television franchise. Phone campaign launched by cable industry and the charges made by the campaign against the...
- Rate hikes in the works. McAdams // Broadcasting & Cable;11/29/99, Vol. 129 Issue 49, p7
Reports the increase of cable charges by cable multiple-systems operators in the United States. Views of cable operators on rate hike; Comparison on the rate hike between Cablevision and Time Warner Cable; Factors contributing to the rate adjustment.
- Cable Takes Modem Fee Fight to FCC. Hearn, Ted // Multichannel News;1/6/2003, Vol. 24 Issue 1, p10
Reports that in the U.S., a cable industry group has complained to the Federal Communications Commission about the nature of legal moves by cities over the payment of cable-modem fees. Reason why cable operators stopped collecting franchise fees for cable-modem revenue; Representatives of the...
- More MSOs Dropping Modem Fees. Haugsted, Linda; Hearn, Ted // Multichannel News;4/1/2002, Vol. 23 Issue 13, p2
Reports the decision to conclude collection of cable-modem franchise fees in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Influence of a Federal Communications Commission ruling; Identification of operators dropping fees; Provision of refunds to customers.
- The 'triple play' gamble. Bell, Peter // Telecommunications - International Edition;Feb2002, Vol. 36 Issue 2, p11
Focuses on the application of triple play strategy by cable operators in Europe. Investment in digital upgrades; Effects of bundled service offerings on the turnaround of the business; Introduction of digital subscriber lines.