Dispute over Vioxx study plays out in New England journal
- Case Report: Safety and Efficacy of Tocilizumab in a Patient with Rheumatoid Arthritis and Chronic Hepatitis C. Iebba, Filippo; Di Sora, Fiorella; Tarasi, Agapito; Leti, Wilma; Montella, Tatiana; Montella, Francesco // Case Reports in Medicine;2012, p1
Tocilizumab is a monoclonal humanized anti-IL-6-receptor antibody used for the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis. The safety of tocilizumab in HCV patients is an open question. We report on safety and efficacy of tocilizumab in a 71-year-old female with rheumatoid arthritis and chronic hepatitis...
- Get a grip on joint pain. Dolby, Victoria // Better Nutrition;Mar99, Vol. 61 Issue 3, p50
Focuses on nutritional arthritis therapy. Glucosamine sulfte and chondroitin sulfate; Methylsulfonylmethane; Essential fatty acids; Cayenne peppers.
- An Economic Model for Determining the Costs and Consequences of Using Various Treatment Alternatives for the Management of Arthritis in Canada. Zabinski, R.A.; Burke, T.A.; Johnson, J.; Lavoie, F.; Fitzsimon, C.; Tretiak, R.; Chancellor, J.V.M. // PharmacoEconomics;Aug2001 Supplement 1, Vol. 19 Issue 8, p49
Objective: To construct a decision analytical model to compare the costs and clinical consequences of treating patients with celecoxib or various nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID)/gastrointestinal (GI) co-therapy regimens for the management of osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis....
- LETTERS. Lau, Ruth; Morey, Diane; Jacobson, Richard; Williston, Bethany; Brown, Glen; Katz, Robert; Carver, Bruce; Regulinski, Thad L. D.; Harrison, Cathie; Dahlbeck, Lennart; Oteri, Paul Onoriode; Awofeso, Pelu; Tee, Tan Boon; Carroll, Peter // Time International (South Pacific Edition);11/1/2004, Issue 43, p6
Several letters to the editor are presented in response to articles published in the October 11, 2004 issue including "What do Women Want," an article on the prescription drug Vioxx's withdrawal from the market and an article on fashion designer Geoffrey Beene.
- Economic Evaluation of Celecoxib, a New Cyclo-Oxygenase 2 Specific Inhibitor, in Switzerland. Chancellor, J.V.M.; Hunsche, E.; de Cruz, E.; Sarasin, F.P. // PharmacoEconomics;Aug2001 Supplement 1, Vol. 19 Issue 8, p59
Objective: The aim of this study was to predict the cost effectiveness of celecoxib, a cyclo-oxygenase 2 (COX-2) specific inhibitor, in the treatment of arthritis patients in Switzerland. Methods: We applied a decision analytical model to compare the effects of 6 months' treatment with the...
- A Framework for Evaluating the Clinical Consequences of Initial Therapy with NSAIDs, NSAIDs plus Gastroprotective Agents, or Celecoxib in the Treatment of Arthritis. Burke, T.A.; Zabinski, R.A.; Pettitt, D.; Maniadakis, N.; Maurath, C.J.; Goldstein, J.L. // PharmacoEconomics;Aug2001 Supplement 1, Vol. 19 Issue 8, p33
Objective: The purpose of this study is to provide a framework for estimating the economic efficiency of nonselective nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), concomitant gastroprotective agents (GPAs) to reduce the risk of NSAID toxicity, and celecoxib, a specific cyclo-oxygenase-2...
- Vioxx study adds fire to arthritis drug battle. // Drug Store News;7/19/99, Vol. 21 Issue 11, pCP13
Focuses on the result of a study on the effectivity of Vioxx, an anti-arthritis drug conducted by Merck company. Comparison of Vioxx with the drug Celebrex; Reaction from Monsanto and Pfizer on the study findings of Merck; Comments from Philip Needleman, co-president of Searle.
- Arthritis treatment options. // Executive Health's Good Health Report;Nov97, Vol. 34 Issue 2, p1
Part II. Evaluates treatment modalities for arthritis. Includes chemotherapy, diet and exercise therapy; Common antiarthritic drugs used; Includes use of non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAID), analgesics and synthetic prostaglandins; Mechanism of action; Side effects; Recommended diet;...
- Comparison between penicillamine and sulphasalazine in rheumatoid arthritis: Leeds-Birmingham trial. Neumann, V.C.; Grindulis, K.A.; Hubball, S.; McConkey, B.; Wright, V. // British Medical Journal (Clinical Research Edition);10/15/1983, Vol. 287 Issue 6399, p1099
Compares the efficacy of penicillamine and sulphasalazine in treating rheumatoid arthritis. Capabilities of Sulphasalazine in producing remissions; Precautions on the intake of the drugs; Concerns on the side effects of penicillamine.