News @ a glance
- ROUTINE HIV TESTING: A View from Botswana. Kenyon, Kristi // Health & Human Rights: An International Journal;2005, Vol. 8 Issue 2, p21
The article focuses on the recently taken initiative of routine HIV testing in Botswana. Following an announcement in October 2003 by President Festus Mogae, routine testing for HIV (RHT) was introduced in Botswana in January 2004. It was assumed that RHT would reduce the stigma associated with...
- Inequities in under-five child malnutrition in South Africa. Zere, Eyob; McIntyre, Diane // International Journal for Equity in Health;2003, Vol. 2, p7
Objectives: To assess and quantify the magnitude of inequalities in under-five child malnutrition, particularly those ascribable to socio-economic status and to consider the policy implications of these findings. Methods: Data on 3765 under-five children were derived from the Living Standards...
- Time to get angry about Aids. Versi, Anver // African Business;Jul/Aug2001, Issue 267, p11
Calls on African governments to get serious in fighting AIDS. Total spending for combating AIDS worldwide; Refusal of African leaders to recognize the AIDS problem; Decrease in AIDS infection in Uganda due to the efforts of its president.
- France against AIDS. Dorozynski, Alexander // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);2/4/89, Vol. 298 Issue 6669, p276
Reports on the reappraisal of the health policies for AIDS prevention in France. Creation of a national agency; Concern on the national health insurance scheme; Problem on HIV screening.
- NOTEWORTHY. // Advocate;2/4/86, Issue 439, p21
Reports on developments relevant to AIDS and AIDS prevention in the U.S. as of February 4, 1986. Key issues of interest; Analysis of pertinent topics and relevant issues; Implications on medical policy.
- Uganda gives lessons in stemming the AIDS epidemic. // Nature Medicine;Sep99, Vol. 5 Issue 9, p963
Reports on the anti-AIDS campaign launched by the government of Uganda. Factors that contributed to the decline of the AIDS epidemic in the country; Policies regarding AIDS control established in the country.
- WHO unveils emergency AIDS action plan for Romania. // Public Health Reports;May/Jun90, Vol. 105 Issue 3, p325
Reports on the World Health Organization (WHO) and the government of Romania's emergency measures to prevent and control AIDS and HIV infections. Details on the development of the plan; Involvement of technical assistance from WHO offices; WHO's provision of diagnostic tests and kits.
- HEALTH. Fain, Nathan // Advocate;6/12/84, Issue 396, p20
Discusses advancements made in science for the prevention and treatment of AIDS. Tests to prevent spread of AIDS through blood transfusion; Efforts to prepare a vaccine against AIDS; Books and publications to illustrate scientific research work on AIDS.
- HAART in Haiti--evidence needed. Gilks, Charles; AbouZahr, Carla; Türmen, Tomris // Bulletin of the World Health Organization;2001, Vol. 79 Issue 12, p1154
Comments on the establishment of care service for people with HIV/AIDS in Haiti. Availability of antiretroviral therapy; Use of directly observed therapy with highly active antiretroviral therapy model; Reduction of AIDS-related stigma.