Safe drinking water standards for First Nations communities
- IHS working to provide safe drinking water for Indian Country. // Navajo Times;4/11/2013, Vol. 52 Issue 15, pA-2
The article reports on the plan of the Indian Health Service (IHS) and other federal agencies to improve interagency coordination in providing safe drinking water and basic sanitation to tribal communities.
- Tips for Testing Chlorine Residual. // WaterWorld;Mar2000, Vol. 16 Issue 3, p16
Presents suggestions regarding the testing for chlorine residual in water utilities. Need to test whether chlorine is in a combined state when a test for free chlorine residual reads zero; Use of a total reagent; Need to test for breakpoint chlorination to maintain a balanced chlorine residual.
- Assessing health risk in drinking water from naturally... Edberg, Stephen C. // Journal of Environmental Health;Jan/Feb1996, Vol. 58 Issue 6, p18
Reports on a study which assessed the safety of drinking tap water and bottled water. What causes the deterioration of water quality; Findings of study.
- Is chlorine safe? Vaz, Valerie // Essence (Essence);Mar1995, Vol. 25 Issue 11, p36
Presents safety guidelines for drinking water. Alleged carcinogenicity of chlorine-based chemicals that are added to the water supply; Water-safety regulations from the Environmental Protection Agency; Contact information.
- Is your drinking water safe? Alberts, Nuna // Self;Aug97, Vol. 19 Issue 8, p157
Examines issues surrounding safe drinking water in the United States. Reference to the passing of the Safe Drinking Water Act; Statements from the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) administrator Carol M. Browner; Health limits for substances found in drinking water by the EPA. INSETS: The...
- The purist's guide to tap water. Poppy, John // Health (Time Inc. Health);Sep93, Vol. 7 Issue 5, p70
Presents guidelines for drinking tap water. Dangers; Comparison of bottled water with tap water; Water testing; Reduction of exposure to bacteria, lead and disinfection byproducts; Filters. INSETS: How to avoid troubled waters at home, by J.P.;For more help (safe drinking water hotline)..
- You are what you drink. Wright, James E. // Joe Weider's Muscle & Fitness;Nov95, Vol. 56 Issue 11, p141
Focuses on water which is a common ingredient in enhancing energy levels, promoting muscle growth and burning fat. Information from the Natural Resources Defense Council on water; Problems in tap water; How chemicals enter the water supply; Information on contaminates; How to make your water...
- A bitter aftertaste many would drink to. Evans, E.S. // St. Louis Journalism Review;Oct97, Vol. 28 Issue 200, p5
Presents information on the defeat involving the rural legislators, industrial lobbyists, and the Missouri legislation, which relate to the safety standards of drinking water. Effects of the defeat towards the state; Preventive measure taken by the Associated Industries of Missouri (AIM);...
- EPA offers information on safe drinking water. // Curriculum Review;Apr90, Vol. 29 Issue 8, p12
Focuses on Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) offering school a list of safe water coolers that may expose children to lead, manufactured by Halsey Taylor Company.