- Outlaw Country. Crable, Ad // Backpacker;Apr2000, Vol. 28 Issue 3, p98
Provides information on Red Canyon Scenic Recreation Area in Utah.
- Gulf Coast of Alaska Where the mountains meet the sea. Barbour, Tracy // Alaska Business Monthly;Mar2009, Vol. 25 Issue 3, p82
The article features the Gulf Coast of Alaska wherein the mountains meet the sea. It mentions that the shoreline of the coast represents a rugged combination of mountains, forests and tidewater glaciers. It notes that the gulf coast is also a home to Kodiak Island and U.S. Coast Guard's largest...
- Western Waterlands: 54. Metropolis Lake State Nature Preserve. // Hiking Kentucky;1998, p203
Information on the Metropolis Lake State Nature Preserve in the Western Waterlands region of Kentucky from a chapter of the book "Hiking Kentucky" is presented. The 123-acre nature preserve was once a recreation area run by a local family. A description of the park's history and terrain is...
- Is the evolving sport of mountain biking compatible with fauna conservation in national parks? Burgin, Shelley; Hardiman, Nigel // Australian Zoologist;Aug2012, Vol. 36 Issue 2, p201
Historically, most people have tended to visit national parks for 'rest, relaxation and reinvigoration', typically resulting in moderate ecological impacts. However, increasingly, recreation in natural areas is including 'adventure' sports. One such recreation/sport that now incorporates a range...
- Ballot Initiatives and Wildlife Management Policy Change in Two Western States. Burnett, Christopher // Journal of Environmental Systems;2004-2005, Vol. 31 Issue 3, p223
In the wildlife policy arena ballot initiatives have been used increasingly over the past two decades to wrest control of policy from legislators and bureaucrats. This trend has led to dramatic changes in policy as professionals are forced to adapt to changing political winds. I use a model of...
- Winter safaris. Finnegan, Lora J. // Sunset;Jan2005, Vol. 214 Issue 1, p27
Reports on a visit to the Hardware Ranch Wildlife Management Area in Utah during winter. Observation of the migration of mammals; Practice of visiting families to ride in horse-drawn sleighs; Conservation of energy by the animals to survive the winter season.
- Five winter wildlife areas. // Sunset;Jan2005, Vol. 214 Issue 1, p32
Offers information on winter wildlife areas in the United States. Rocky Mountain Arsenal National Wildlife Refuge; National Bison Range; Grizzly and Wolf Discovery Center; National Bighorn Sheep Interpretive Center; Yellowstone National Park.
- Citizens Improve Pennsylvania's Beauty. // Parks & Recreation;Sep2003, Vol. 38 Issue 9, p106
Features the Beaver Creek Nature Area in Clarion County, Pennsylvania. Efforts of county residents in promoting the facility's natural environment; Organization which contributed to the effort; Benefits provided by the area.
- Categories for Reserves. // Dominican Republic (Landmark Visitors Guide);1998, p117
The article lists the categories for reserves in the Dominican Republic.