Amazing Frog Metamorphosis!
- Food availability determines the response to pond desiccation in anuran tadpoles. Enriquez-Urzelai, Urtzi; San Sebastián, Olatz; Garriga, Núria; Llorente, Gustavo // Oecologia;Sep2013, Vol. 173 Issue 1, p117
Food availability and pond desiccation are two of the most studied factors that condition amphibian metamorphosis. It is well known that, when food is abundant, organisms undergo metamorphosis early and when they are relatively large. The capability of anurans to accelerate their developmental...
- A GIANT TADPOLE RECORD OF Rana esculenta IN NORTHWESTERN RUSSIA. Milto, Konstantin D. // Russian Journal of Herpetology;Apr-Jun2009, Vol. 16 Issue 2, p143
The article focuses on a study on the first record of giant Rana esculenta tadpoles that were collected in a water reservoir in Sebezh Rayon, Pskov Oblast in Northwestern Russia from September 24 to 28, 2009. It states that the period of premetamorphosis growth of Rana esculenta is much longer...
- Relative Influence of Kinship and Density on Metamorphic Traits of Tomopterna breviceps. Gramapurohit, Naraharj P.; Veeranagoudar, Dheeraj K.; Shanbhag, Bhagyashri A.; Saidapur, Srinivas K. // Journal of Herpetology;Dec2004, Vol. 38 Issue 4, p594
Tadpoles of Tomopterna breviceps from five different sibships were subjected to pure (siblings) or mixed (kin and nonkin) rearing conditions at varying densities to determine relative influence of kinship and density on metamorphic traits of larval growth, larval period, and size at...
- Growth and Developmental Effects of Coal Combustion Residues on Southern Leopard Frog (Rana sphenocephala) Tadpoles Exposed throughout Metamorphosis. Peterson, John D.; Peterson, Vikki A.; Mendonça, Mary T. // Copeia;Sep2008, Vol. 2008 Issue 3, p499
The effects of aquatic deposition of coal combustion residues (CCRs) on amphibian life histories have been the focus of many recent studies. In summer 2005, we raised larval Southern Leopard Frogs, Rana sphenocephala, on either sand or CCR substrate (approximately 1 cm deep within plastic bins)...
- RANA SYLVATICA (wood frog): LARVAL DURATION. Swierk, Lindsey // Herpetological Bulletin;Spring2012, Issue 119, p39
The article offers information on the larval duration of Rana sylvatica, a wood frog that is widespread in North America. It states that the frog breeds in wetlands during early spring and the duration of its larval development varies and is determined by temperature, latitude, density, and...
- Interacting effects of predation risk and food availability on larval anuran behaviour and development. Nicieza, Alfredo G. // Oecologia;Jun2000, Vol. 123 Issue 4, p497
Age and size at metamorphosis are two important fitness components in species with complex life cycles. In anurans, metamorphic traits show remarkable phenotypic plasticity, especially in response to changes in growth conditions. It is also possible that the perception of risk directly...
- Frog Science. // Scholastic News -- Edition 2;Mar2009, Vol. 65 Issue 6, Special section p1
The article offers information on frogs and its metamorphosis.
- FAR-OUT FROGS. // Science World;3/11/2002, Vol. 58 Issue 11, p15
Presents information on the metamorphosis of several rainforest frogs in Central America and South America.
- Watch a Frog Grow. // Weekly Reader - Edition K;May/Jun2003, p2
Presents a photograph of each stage of a frog's life.