California Franchise Debate Coming
- Feelin' OK in Richmond. // CableFAX Daily;2/28/2006, Vol. 17 Issue 39, p1
Reports on the video franchise bill passed by the Virginia House and Senate. Significance of the bill for Verizon; Reason for the failure of other cable operators to negotiate a franchise deal in other U.S. states.
- Surprise for Verizon in N.J. Haugsted, Linda // Multichannel News;12/5/2005, Vol. 26 Issue 51, p31
The article reports on the opposition of Verizon Communications Inc. to a video franchising draft bill sponsored by assemblyman Wilfredo Caraballo (D-Newark) in New Jersey that calls for a statewide franchise for some providers of cable television services. Verizon plans to launch video services...
- In the States:. // CableFAX Daily;4/6/2006, Vol. 17 Issue 66, p2
Presents news briefs on issues related to cable television in the U.S. as of April 6, 2006. Decision of Comcast to launch its digital phone in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in April; Introduction of a statewide franchising bill by a lawmaker in California.
- After Ind., Franchise Battle Shifts to N.J. Haugsted, Linda // Multichannel News;3/20/2006, Vol. 27 Issue 12, p14
Reports on the approval of a draft of a reform bill by a Senate committee in New Jersey that would enable statewide video certification within 45 days. Provisions of the measure for cable operators and telephone companies; Accusation by Verizon against the state's operators when Time Warner,...
- Hoosier Loser. // CableFAX Daily;3/2/2006, Vol. 17 Issue 41, p1
Focuses on the video-franchising bill passed by the state legislature in Indiana. Implications of the bill for cable operators in the state; Problem associated with the bill; Provision of the bill on phone companies in the state.
- BUILDOUT OR NO BUILDOUT? Hearn, Ted // Multichannel News;5/8/2006, Vol. 27 Issue 19, p6
The article focuses on the anti-discrimination provisions in the cable-franchise reform bill sponsored by U.S. Representative Joe Barton (R-Texas). Barton claims that cable industry is just focusing on wealthy households and ignoring low-income consumers. The bill requires that a national...
- Renewing the Battle over TV Service. Goldstein, Scott // njbiz;3/6/2006, Vol. 19 Issue 10, p1
Reports on the move of Verizon Communications Inc. to support a legislation introduced in the New Jersey Senate which will abolish the need for cable TV companies to seek town-by-town franchise approval to hook up customers. Legislators who sponsored the legislation; Information on cable TV...
- Verizon TV finds mostly static in NY. Fung, Amanda // Crain's New York Business;7/16/2007, Vol. 23 Issue 29, p1
The article reports on efforts by telecom giant Verizon Communications Inc. to secure rights to offer cable television service to residents of Yonkers, New York in 2007. The company's application promises to boost its efforts to secure a cable television franchise in New York State if approved...
- Cox Cable and Southwestern Bell join forces for UK franchises. Amdur, Meredith; Flint, Joe // Broadcasting & Cable;3/8/93, Vol. 123 Issue 10, p43
Details the agreement between Cox Cable and Southwestern Bell's UK franchise to develop and acquire cable franchises. The deal was one of the UK cable industry's largest investments to date; Cox's initial 25 percent interest in the cable TV-telephony business; Other partnerships between...