Measuring Physical Environments of Parks and Playgrounds: EAPRS Instrument Development and Inter-Rater Reliability
- System for Observing Play and Recreation in Communities (SOPARC): Reliability and Feasibility Measures. McKenzie, Thomas L.; Cohen, Deborah A.; Sehgal, Amber; Williamson, Stephanie; Golinelli, Daniela // Journal of Physical Activity & Health;2006 Supplement 1, Vol. 3, pS208
Background: New tools are needed to examine physical activity and the contexts in which it occurs. Community parks contribute to physical activity, but measuring activity and associated variables in them is challenging because area contexts change and the numbers and characteristics of users are...
- Urban Parks and Trails and Physical Activity. Henderson, Karla A. // Annals of Leisure Research;2006, Vol. 9 Issue 4, p201
Urban parks and trails offer a significant venue for promoting active living. Public parks are accessible to most people, generally offer free year-round opportunities, and have the potential to play an essential role in promoting physical activity to contribute to healthier people and to...
- Travel FITNESS. Feuz, Shari // Alive: Canada's Natural Health & Wellness Magazine;Jun2010, Issue 332, p60
The article discusses several fitness exercises to be done in parks. The exercises include double-pump walking lunges, single-arm reverse fly, bench step-ups, resistance tube woodchop, single-leg squat. It provides a step-by-step process on how to perform the exercise. It also mentions the...
- BODY, MIND & spirits. // New Orleans Magazine;Jul2003, Vol. 37 Issue 10, p46
Presents information on fitness activities that can be undertaken in and around New Orleans, Louisiana. Options available for people interested in rock climbing; Ways in which sailing helps achieve fitness; Facilities included in dance workout class organized by Urban Funk Factory.
- Bored with your gym routine? Cohen, Sharon; Doheny, Kathleen; Asp, Karen // Shape;Jul2003, Vol. 22 Issue 11, p98
Presents outdoor exercises as alternatives to exercising in gymnasium to maintain physical fitness.
- Get Bow Fit. Kuhn, Todd // Outdoor Life;May2009, Vol. 216 Issue 5, p32
The article offers four simple exercises that would make one a fit archer when the archery season comes. It is important to remember that in bow-hunting, the main goal is strength and endurance. Holding a drawn bow at arm's length uses shoulder muscles, chest muscles and arm muscles while...
- Pulse fitness. Rentmeester, Marlien; Christ, Mary; Green, Penelope; Whyatt, Antonia; St. John, Allen // Women's Sports & Fitness (10996079);Jul/Aug98, Vol. 1 Issue 10, p24
Provides information on issues and products regarding physical fitness for women. Law proposal for single-gender gymnasium; Crunch exercise; Importance of having your own yoga-mat bag; Lists of outdoor activities.
- Fresh Air. Coppa, Matt; Bronstein, Jake // Men's Fitness;Apr2004, Vol. 20 Issue 4, p24
Discusses the need for outdoor recreation to rejuvenate physical fitness and health.
- 7-Day Get Firm Walking Plan. Knadler, Jessie // Prevention;Nov2005, Vol. 57 Issue 11, p109
Describes an exercise program for use at a playground or park. Description of the different exercises to do; When to do certain exercises in the workout plan; Slide curls; Tricep dips; Diamond jumps; How working out at a playground is free and accessible to everyone.