School Bond Ups & Downs
- School Bond Bonanza. Cohen, Jackie // Bond Buyer;3/10/2006, Vol. 355 Issue 32336, p31
The article reports that several school districts in the state of Washington are seeking voter authorization for a combined total of nearly $400 million in debt during local elections on March 14, 2006. Some of the districts that made the requests include Highline School District, Bellingham...
- Los Angeles Unified School District To Sell Notes This Week, GOs Sept. 15. Saskal, Rich // Bond Buyer;8/23/2004, Vol. 349 Issue 31953, p33
Reports on the plan of the Los Angeles Unified School District to sell $200 million of general obligation (GO) bonds. Description of the GO sale; Availability of more than a billion dollars in bond authorization of the district; Use of the special tax levied for the GO bonds to repay debt by the...
- Chicago Schools Ready to Dip Into QSCB Allocation With $254M Sale. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;11/25/2009, Vol. 370 Issue 33223, p8
The article reports on the plan of the Chicago Board of Education to enter the bond market with a 254 million dollars unlimited-tax general obligation issue. It announces that the co-managers of this transaction are Goldman, Sachs & Co. and J.P. Morgan Chase & Co., Katten Muchin Rosenman LLP is...
- Growing Mississippi School District Gets Bond Approval. Sigo, Shelly // Bond Buyer;5/28/2004, Vol. 348 Issue 31894, p3
Reports on the general obligation bond for the Mississippi-based DeSoto County School District. Implementation of a referendum for the approval of the general obligation bond; Construction project of the school district; Appointment of a bond counsel by the school board.
- Arizona Polygamists to Vote on Bonds, Property Tax Hike. Watts, Jim // Bond Buyer;8/26/2004, Vol. 349 Issue 31956, p4
Reports that the school district in northern Arizona, Colorado City Unified School District No. 14, is seeking approval for a 1.5 million dollar bond issue. Unanimous vote made by the trustees of the school district to put the bond proposal before voters in November 2004; Purposes for which bond...
- School Bonds Aplenty. Cataldo, Adam L. // Bond Buyer;12/20/2004, Vol. 350 Issue 32033, p29
The article reports that residents in 25 local school districts last week approved bond sales totaling nearly $352.2 million to fund school construction projects in New Jersey. The approved projects vary in size from nearly $81.4 million for additions and renovations in East Brunswick Township...
- Hamtramck School Woes. Carvlin, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;6/30/2004, Vol. 348 Issue 31916, p39
Reports that Michigan officials are turning their attention to the Hamtramck School District's finances. Wayne County prosecutor George Ward's investigation of the spending related to the district's capital fund; Hamtramck schools' fiscal 2005 spending plan.
- Idaho's Top Court Says Judges Can't Order Taxes for School Funding. Saskal, Rich // Bond Buyer;8/30/2004, Vol. 349 Issue 31958, p5
Reports that the Idaho Supreme Court has overturned a state law that empowered judges to single-handedly raise taxes to fund school improvements. Lawsuit over school funding; School bond sales; Response of lawmakers to the 2003 law that the Supreme Court rejected.
- Supermajority Bill. Kelemen, Jasmina // Bond Buyer;2/25/2005, Vol. 351 Issue 32078, p33
The article reports that lawmakers in the U.S. House this week approved a bill that would allow Washington voters to reconsider a law that requires 60% approval for school bonds and levies, instead allowing passage by a simple majority. Washington and Montana are the only states to require the...