- All the Belts and Whistles. FAULKNER, JIMMY // Fire Chief;Dec2012, Vol. 56 Issue 12, p50
The article discusses the safety features that have been included in the fire truck cabs including roofs, warning lights and dual-blade windshield wipers. It mentions that vapor barrier-style bunker gears were introduced for the firefighters to make the cabs environmentally friendly. It further...
- Alaska jury finds defect in Jimmy belt. Darin, Ann Therese // Automotive News;11/13/1995, Vol. 70 Issue 5632, p52
Informs about the defects in the sports-utility vehicle Jimmy's seat belt found by the Alaska jury in the car accident that occurred in 1984. Defective design of the seat belt; Views of the jury.
- Why Can't They Hear the Music? Fritz, Richard A. // Fire Engineering;Apr2007, Vol. 160 Issue 4, p249
The author presents his views on safety concerning fire fighters and fire extinction. He argues that fire fighters should stay in practice by drilling with fire pumps and throwing ladders. The author also urges fire fighters to remain alert while driving fire engines and to always wear their...
- Safety restraint injuries in fatal motor vehicle collisions. Julia Chase; Lucinda Donaldson; Catherine Gorrie // Forensic Science, Medicine & Pathology;Dec2007, Vol. 3 Issue 4, p258
AbstractÃ‚Â Ã‚Â The presence of an apparent seat belt mark (SBM) on a car crash occupant is often used as evidence for use of a seat belt at the time of the crash and, conversely, the lack of a SBM is used as an indication that no seat belt was used. This study examined whether there...
- Utah airbag death sparks federal inquiry. Bruner, Richard // Automotive News;11/13/1995, Vol. 70 Issue 5632, p52
Reports on the dangers of airbag deployment in cars upon children. Death of a 5-year-old Utah boy on October 1995; Investigation by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration; Role played by seat belt; Reports of the investigation by the NHTSA; Statistics on the use of seat belts.
- A department resolution that is 100% achievable in 2010. // Minnesota Fire Chief;Jan/Feb2010, Vol. 46 Issue 3, p21
The author suggests that with the start of another year, firefighters should consider setting a collective goal for the department. He stresses the paramount need for a department resolution committing to a culture of safety so that preventable accidents do not occur. He lists practical advice...
- Fire truck accident under investigation. Gray, Megan // Ellis County Press;9/15/2011, Vol. 20 Issue 23, p1
The article reports on the investigation of a fire truck accident in Ferris, Texas on September 11, 2011.
- In Firefighter Safety, Technology Can't Replace Personal Responsiblity. Wilmoth, Janet // Fire Chief Expert Blog;9/13/2012, p3
The author examines a maintenance program introduced by FirePrograms Software (FPS) that monitors the speed of vehicles used by firefighters to ensure their safety. She discusses the value of monitoring information in case of litigation. She criticizes the use of safety equipment to protect...
- Despite progress, fire service still needs to change firefighter safety culture. Wilmoth, Janet // Fire Chief Expert Blog;2/17/2013, p1
The author reflects on the need for the U.S. fire service to change its firefighter safety culture. She highlights the death of firefighters in 2012 in vehicle crashes, mentioning that nine of those were not wearing their seatbelts. She also shares that she has seen a lot of volunteer and...