SERS Sheds Light on WMD Detection
- High-power Raman fiber lasers test components. Holtkamp, Bill; Kuizenga, Dirk // Laser Focus World;Jun2001, Vol. 37 Issue 6, p95
Discusses the use of Raman fiber laser (RFL) in component testing for telecommunication devices. Example of how the Raman scattering effect works; Use of RFL in testing telecommunication components; Information on a daisy-chain setup used in the verification of process changes or new designs.
- Did the US start germ warfare? Pringle, Peter // New Statesman;10/25/99, Vol. 128 Issue 4459, p10
Discusses the proliferation of biological weapons in the United States (US). Views by the US Central Intelligence Agency; Background on American and British biological weapons system; Significance of the report `The United States and Biological Warfare: Secrets from the Early Cold War,' by...
- AMERICA'S CREDIBILITY IS TAKING A HIT IN IRAQ. Taylor Jr., Stuart // National Journal;5/17/2003, Vol. 35 Issue 20, p1525
Discusses the threat to the credibility of the U.S. of its failure to find chemical and biological weapons in Iraq after waging a war with the rogue nation that is allegedly developing the weapons. Purpose of the war according to U.S. President George W. Bush; Theories regarding the absence of...
- International Leadership in the Control of Biological Weapons. Butler, Richard // Public Health Reports;Sep2001 Supplement 2, Vol. 116 Issue 5, p53
Focuses on international control of biological weapons. Details of efforts to inspect Iraq for biological weapons; Suggestions and comments on rules for the control of biological weapons; Importance of enforcement in the control of weapons of mass destruction.
- Leashing the Dogs of War. // World & I;Jan99, Vol. 14 Issue 1, p287
Introduces an article which deals with the problems posed by biological weapons.
- Biological Weapons: A Reawakened Concern. Leitenberg, Milton // World & I;Jan99, Vol. 14 Issue 1, p288
Provides information on biological weapons (BW). Proliferation of BW; Description of the BW program of the former Union of Soviet Socialist Republics; Events from 1991 to 1998 related to BW; Possible uses of BW.
- Bio-Pact Feedback. // Christian Science Monitor;7/26/2001, Vol. 93 Issue 169, p10
Editorial. Comments on the refusal of United States President George W. Bush to accept a protocol which would target countries making biological weapons, and view that the U.S. should come up with alternatives to the plan.
- Inflation threshold: A nonlinear trapping-induced threshold for the rapid onset of stimulated Raman scattering from a single laser speckle. Vu, H. X.; DuBois, D. F.; Bezzerides, B. // Physics of Plasmas;Jan2007, Vol. 14 Issue 1, p012702
The rapid onset, with increasing laser intensity, of levels of backward stimulated Raman scattering (BSRS) exceeding linear convective predictions, from single laser hot spots was predicted by simulations [Vu et al., Phys. Plasmas 9, 1745 (2002)], and has been observed [Montgomery et al., Phys....
- Compression of ultraintense laser pulses in inhomogeneous plasma upon backward stimulated raman scattering. Andreev, A. A.; Bespalov, V. G.; Ermolaeva, E. V.; Salomaa, R. R. E. // Optics & Spectroscopy;Jan2007, Vol. 102 Issue 1, p98
The potential for time compression of ultraintense laser pulses in plasma based on nonlinear interactions between waves during backward stimulated Raman scattering is analyzed analytically and numerically. The optimal conditions for obtaining a maximal energy conversion coefficient of 10-ps...