Are IDAs a Good Deal?
- Industrial agencies dole out $733 million in 2003. Anastasi, Nick // Long Island Business News (7/1993 to 5/2009);2/20/2004, Vol. 51 Issue 8, p4A
Reports on economic incentives given by industrial development agencies (IDA) in Long Island, New York in 2003. Efforts to attract and retain companies in the region; Number of jobs retained; Potential creation of a number of jobs related to IDA projects.
- The IDA at 35. Winzelberg, David // Long Island Business News (7/1993 to 5/2009);6/1/2007, Vol. 54 Issue 24, p1A
The article reports that the Long Island Industrial Development Agency (IDA) in New York continues to find critics despite recent successes. Jobs With Justice criticized Long Island's current IDAs, citing failed projects and job losses at companies receiving development agency assistance. A...
- Empowerment zone provides rewards here. Wilson, Rocky // Journal of Business (10756124);7/14/2005, Vol. 20 Issue 15, pA5
Reports on the success of the community empowerment zone state program in Washington which aims to stimulate job growth and business investment in areas where income levels are below the state average. Companies benefiting from the program; Features of the program; Worth of tax savings gained by...
- Fighting back. McGowan, Kathy // Northern Ontario Business;May99, Vol. 19 Issue 8, p25
Reports on the economic development and job creation initiatives of the Kapuskasing, Hearst and Cochrane districts in Northern Ontario. Progress in the construction of an electric power plant; Phosphate mine; Upgrades to a road and railway; Feasibility study of tourism and economic...
- NEW YORK: IDAs Fail in Job Creation. Phillips, Ted // Bond Buyer;5/10/2010, Vol. 372 Issue 33313, p9
The article reports on the failure of 115 industrial development agencies (IDAs) in New York to create jobs and retention for projects that receive benefits, according to Comptroller Thomas DiNapoli.
- GONE KAPUT. MAHAJAN, ANILESH S.; KAUSHIK, MANU // Business Today;8/18/2013, Vol. 22 Issue 17, p38
The article focuses on the economic aspects of several development projects in India including special economic zone (SEZ) project, the Ultra Mega Power Projects (UMPP), and the National Highways Development Project (NHDP). It mentions that the government introduced the project to transform the...
- Construction and Tourism Jobs in Pipeline. Márquez, Calos // Caribbean Business;10/6/2005, Vol. 33 Issue 39, p14
Reports that proposed tourism projects in Puerto Rico could add thousands of hotel rooms, create jobs, and boost economic growth. Need for a concerted effort between the government and private sector to support the industry.
- Grassroots Industrial Projects Up Almost A Third. // Supply House Times;Jun2007, Vol. 50 Issue 4, p24
The article offers news briefs of industrial activity in North America and U.S. The Industrial Info's North American Project Spending Index reported an increased by almost a third in the industrial project activity in North America for the first quarter of 2007. The Great Lakes region in the...
- Downstream drive is way forward. // MEED: Middle East Economic Digest;6/6/2008, Vol. 52 Issue 23, p7
The article reports that Libya, Algeria and Morocco are cooperating in developing their industrial bases. Tripoli and Rabat have signed a memorandum of understanding to combine Libya's gas with Moroco's massive phosphate reserves to create diammonium phosphate fertiliser. Algeria has also signed...