Indiana's 'Circuit Breaker'
- Exemption increased. // East Bernard Express (TX);3/22/2007, Vol. 64 Issue 12, p3
The article reports that senior citizens in Brazoria, Texas will receive an additional break on their property taxes after the city council instructed the city attorney to write an ordinance.
- Calhoun legislation extending STAR deadline passes assembly. // Hudson Valley Business Journal;02/02/98, Vol. 8 Issue 20, p27
Reports that New York State legislator Nancy Calhoun has sponsored a bill extending STAR or the school property tax relief program in the state. Deadline for applications in various counties; March 2, 1998 as the latest filing date for STAR application acceptance.
- A Welcome Chance for Tax Relief. // njbiz;6/12/2006, Vol. 19 Issue 24, p10
Comments on the possible property tax relief in New Jersey. Expectations on the special session of the Legislature that will tackle property tax relief; Key to attacking the root cause of high property taxes; Consequence of paying for cuts in property taxes by raising other levies.
- Give tax relief to those who truly need it. Marcus, Morton // Indianapolis Business Journal;9/24/2007, Vol. 28 Issue 29, p13A
The article warns the United States government against setting inflexible rules when it comes to property taxes. According to the author, rules on eligibility should be reasonable so that poor people under 65 are not considered unworthy of relief. The author recommends the auditing of the income...
- Thorny tax issues remain as scheduled adjournment nears. Feigenbaum, Ed // Indianapolis Business Journal;3/10/2008, Vol. 29 Issue 1, p14
The article addresses the issue of the property tax relief being debated by the legislators of Indiana. According to the author, the biggest problems in private legislative negotiations appear to revolve around the issue of funding local government and school shortfalls. The factors that could...
- Oceanside: Preserving History Important to City. Broderick, Pat // San Diego Business Journal;12/18/2006, Vol. 27 Issue 51, p48
The article reports on the intention of the city of Oceanside, California to consider a program that would give building owners a tax break for maintaining historical structures. Under the Mills Act Property Tax Abatement Program, residents would be able to save from 40 to 50 percent on their...
- Regional Abatement Policy Sensible. // Grand Rapids Business Journal;7/21/2008, Vol. 26 Issue 29, p4
The author comments on a tax policy regarding exemptions or tax capture by tax increment authority districts in Michigan. The policy is reportedly a source of consternation among counties and cities in West Michigan as they resolve issues concerning decreasing revenue resources. The Plainfield...
- OVERSEAS TAX DEVELOPMENTS. // Accountancy;Feb1970, Vol. 81 Issue 918, p146
Presents updates on rules and regulations on taxation worldwide as of February 1, 1970. Changes in the rules on reliefs under the Income Tax Bill 1969 in Australia; Tax rates in Sudan in 1970; Proposals under the Bill for the Taxation Laws Act 1969 in India.
- Compromise needed to relieve taxpayers. Galef, Sandra R. // Westchester County Business Journal;9/8/2008, Vol. 47 Issue 36, p4
The author reflects on the significance of circuit breaker on taxation policies in New York. She stated that a circuit breaker connects total household income to the amount of all property taxes paid in the household and gives a credit on personal state income tax. She commented that the...