D.C. Council to Mull Bill Outlining Use of Tobacco Bonds
- How Tobacco Bonds Work, and What Can Go Wrong. Podkul, Cezary; Sleight, David // Pro Publica;Aug2014, p11
The article offers information on tobacco industry bonds and how it works in the U.S. It states that bonds are like loans wherein when investors buy the tobacco bonds it will provide the states with cash that can cover the health costs of smoking and some budgetary needs. However, the government...
- California Postpones $11.4 Billion Water GO Referendum Until 2012. Saskal, Rich // Bond Buyer;8/11/2010, Vol. 373 Issue 33365, p32
The article reports on the move by legislators in California to postpone an 11.4 billion dollars general obligation bond referendum until 2012.
- Wash. Judge Overturns Initiative 695. Marois, Michael B. // Bond Buyer;03/16/2000, Vol. 331 Issue 30850, p1
Focuses on a Washington county judge's rejection of Initiative 695. Unconstitutional elements of the tax-cutting initiative; Revival of some bond proposals that had been on hold; Failure to revive a state highway borrowing plan scrapped in November 1999.
- Mass. overhaul? Lentz, Rebecca // Modern Physician;Nov2000, Vol. 4 Issue 11, p3
Deals with the ballot initiative for healthcare system reform in Massachusetts. Implications of the reform; Opposition to the initiative.
- New Mexico considers jumping on tobacco debt bandwagon. Preston, Darrell // Bond Buyer;02/09/2000, Vol. 331 Issue 30825, p5
Focuses on the plans by lawmakers in New Mexico to issue bonds backed by settlement funds from the trial of the tobacco industry. Bills introduced to create various issuance structures; Amount of funds considered for issuance.
- W. Va. Lawmakers Clash Over Tobacco Plan. Vekshin, Alison // Bond Buyer;3/11/2002, Vol. 339 Issue 31341, p4
Reports that lawmakers in the West Virginia Legislature are facing a difference of opinion over whether to use a Senate-proposed tobacco bond measure to finance pensions or health care. Demand of the Senate to put the money into the pension system; Amount that West Virginia is expected to...
- Tobacco Deal Gets Indiana Panel's Nod. Carvlin, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;1/23/2004, Vol. 347 Issue 31806, p1
Looks into the legislation passed by Indiana House Ways and Means Committee for tobacco bond deal. Benefits of the deal for market participants; Purpose of the proceeds derived from the deal; Yield rates of the bonds in the market.
- Business Groups Are Gearing Up For November Battle. // San Diego Business Journal;3/1/2004, Vol. 25 Issue 9, p34
Presents views on issues relating to the proposed business-backed referendum in California, aimed at overturning the employer health care mandate passed by the state legislature in 2003. Focus on business groups' preparation of an initiative that would sharply reduce workers' compensation costs.
- Ark. Lawmakers Seek to Knock Tobacco Plan From Ballot. Albanese, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;09/14/2000, Vol. 333 Issue 30975, p4
Reports the lawsuit filed against Governor Mike Huckabee by the Black Legislators Caucus regarding the tobacco settlement payment bill in Arkansas. Effect of the settlement payments on bond sales for research facilities; Call to invalidate the proposed act for spending the tobacco money;...