Puerto Rico Shuts Down Services
- Living within our means. Evans, Ruth // Business Journal Serving Fresno & the Central San Joaquin Valley;9/23/2005, Issue 323456, p27
Focuses on the importance of the Proposition 76, the Live Within Our Means Act in California. Limitation of public spending to the average rate of growth of the past three years; Establishment of checks and balances to encourage the governor and Legislature to collaborate; Stabilization of k-14...
- Determinants of Perceived Gubernatorial Budgetary Influence among State Executive Budget Analysts and Legislative Fiscal Analysts. Goodman, Doug // Political Research Quarterly;Mar2007, Vol. 60 Issue 1, p43
Recent scholarship points to governors losing budgetary influence to legislatures. A survey of executive and legislative budget analysts from thirteen western states is used to test hypotheses derived from Abney and Lauth's theoretical propositions regarding the end of executive dominance over...
- Rhode Island Lawmakers Override Veto of Budget. Cataldo, Adam L. // Bond Buyer;8/3/2004, Vol. 349 Issue 31939, p4
Reports on the decision of the Rhode Island legislature to override the governor's veto of budget for the 2005 fiscal year. Allocation of funds for the capital projects and bond referendum; Construction of a biotechnology center; Amount of the state's budget deficit.
- Do Governors Matter? Budgeting Rules and the Politics of State Policymaking. Barrilleaux, Charles; Berkman, Michael // Political Research Quarterly;Dec2003, Vol. 56 Issue 4, p409
Whether and how governors influence public policies in the U.S. is open to question. This research tests a model of gubernatorial influence on public policymaking in which gubernatorial power is conceived of the governorï¿½s power over the budgetary process relative to that of the state...
- Executive Leadership. // New Republic;8/14/15, Vol. 4 Issue 41, p31
Explains that a fight will be taking place in the Constitutional Convention at Albany, New York, over a proposal to transfer the functions of New York State budget-making from the legislature and its committees to the Governor and his administrative staff. Adoption could effect a fundamental...
- MICHIGAN: Lawmakers OK Budget Cuts. Devitt, Caitlin // Bond Buyer;12/17/2008, Vol. 366 Issue 33025, p9
The article reports on the approval granted by the Michigan Legislature to the $146 million in budget cuts suggested by Governor Jennifer Granholm. The budget cuts are made in a bid to bring down an estimated $240 million shortfall in the current budget. They include trimming $63 million from...
- Connecticut Lawmakers End Session Deadlocked Over $13.5 Billion Budget. Peacock, Wayne // Bond Buyer;5/10/2002, Vol. 340 Issue 31384, p3
Reports the conclusion of the regular session of the legislature in Connecticut. Lack of financial budget; Disagreement on budget amendments; Opposition of the spending plan.
- MSPs slam budget consultation. Watts, David // Public Finance;06/30/2000, p11
Focuses on the report `Investing in You,' published by the finance committee of the Scottish Parliament, criticizing a consultation document on spending issued by finance minister Jack McConnell. Concerns about the effectiveness of the consultation process conducted by the ministry; Calls for...
- State Legislature returning, seeks to end budget talk. // Adirondack Daily Enterprise;8/3/2010, Vol. 117 Issue 182, p2
The article reports on the move of New York's Legislature to return to session to discuss issues about federal budget.