Delay for Bridge Opening
- $900M Tacoma Narrows Bridge Project Hangs in Limbo. Williams, Rochelle // Bond Buyer;2/28/2002, Vol. 339 Issue 31334, p41
Reports on the approval of multimillion dollar Tacoma Narrows Bridge project by the Washington Senate on February 27, 2002. Overview of the bill; Speculation over the source of financing of the project; Possible utilization of sales bonds for the project.
- From sea to shining sea. Dibenedetto, Bill // Journal of Commerce (1542-3867);3/19/2007, Vol. 8 Issue 11, p22A
The article reports on the reconstruction of the Tacoma Narrows Bridge in Washington. According to the author, the bridge rolled and collapsed in November 1940 during a major windstorm. After 10 years, it now opens together with another bridge under construction. He adds that the state of...
- WSDOT Wins Awards for Excellence in Communication. // Public Roads;Jan/Feb2005, Vol. 68 Issue 4, p53
Reports on the awards received by the Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) from the National Transportation Public Affairs Workshop in 2005. Commendation of WSDOT web site for the Tacoma Narrows Bridge; Recognition of the agency's communications plan for the construction site...
- TACOMA JOB TAKES A STEP FORWARD. // ENR: Engineering News-Record;01/04/99, Vol. 242 Issue 1, p22
Looks at construction contract negotiations between the Washington State Department of Transportation and United Infrastructure Co., a joint-venture firm for the privatized construction of a Tacoma Narrows Bridge. Factors delaying contract progress; Remarks from project development manager Jim...
- Why did bridge rock, roll... and collapse? // Current Science;11/30/90, Vol. 76 Issue 7, p7
Presents a new theory concerning the collapse of the Tacoma Narrows bridge in Washington State fifty years ago, proposed by American mathematicians, Joseph McKenna and Alan Lazer. Past theories; Loosening-tightening theory. INSET: How bridge began rocking..
- Washington State debates increasing Narrows traffic. // ENR: Engineering News-Record;8/9/93, Vol. 231 Issue 6, p17
Reports on the plans to being proposed to accommodate increasing traffic in the Tacoma Narrows Bridge in Tacoma, Washington across Puget Sound. Double decking the bridge; Bridge widening; Construction of a parallel bridge; Opposition from residents.
- Tacoma Narrows Bridge. // Elevator World;Oct2007, Vol. 55 Issue 10, p192
Several images of the Tacoma Narrows Bridge renovation and additions project are presented.
- Still Twisting. Petroski, Henry // American Scientist;Sep/Oct91, Vol. 79 Issue 5, p398
Focuses on the 1940 collapse of the Tacoma Narrows Bridge in Washington. Description of the structure; Debate drawn by the incident; Implications for mathematics and engineering studies.
- The Tacoma Narrows (WA) Bridge Disaster. // World Kid;Apr2003, Vol. 5, pWK12
Discusses the collapse of the Tacoma Narrows Bridge in Tacoma, Washington in 1940. Wind damages to the bridge; Absence of aerodynamic design; Nickname of the bridge.