Scott's Push to Change Audit Process Draws Negative Reactions
- A Correction. // Bond Buyer;10/25/2004, Vol. 350 Issue 31996, p2
Presents a correction to the article about exemption of the interest on American Samoa bonds from taxation.
- TAX-EXEMPT BONDS: A SACRED COW THAT GAVE (SOME) MILK. Zimmerman, Dennis // National Tax Journal;Sep89, Vol. 42 Issue 3, p283
This article addresses issues related to tax-exempt bonds in the U.S. as of September 1989. Entitled to reverence and respect or holy might leap to the minds of many state and local officials, investment bankers, and bond lawyers upon seeing the term sacred used to refer to tax-exempt bonds. But...
- Treasury: IRS Division Should Focus More on High-Risk Deals. McConnell, Alison L. // Bond Buyer;10/5/2005, Vol. 354 Issue 32232, p1
Reports on the need for the U.S. Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to work harder to target bonds with a high risk of noncompliance for audits and misconduct examinations in order to increase its productivity and improve compliance in the municipal sector. Lapses found in the IRS tax-exempt bond...
- Tax-Exempt Bonds Closing Agreement Program. // Practical Accountant;Nov2001, Vol. 34 Issue 11, p16
Discusses the United States Internal Revenue Service's creation of a voluntary closing agreement program for tax-exempt bonds discussed in 'Notice 2001-60.' Opportunity for bond issuers and conduit borrowers to correct violations of the tax law and regulations on tax-exempt bonds; Contact...
- NEWS IN BRIEF. Ferris, Craig T.; Albanese, Elizabeth; Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;05/10/2001, Vol. 336 Issue 31136, p2
Reports developments related to bonds and taxation in the United States as of May 2001. Tax exemption status of the International Health Care Inc.; Approval of a bond issue for the repair of the Cleveland Municipal School District; Improvement of the Nantucket obligation bonds to Aa3 from A1 by...
- Uniform audits ahead? Resnick, Amy B. // Bond Buyer;09/08/99, Vol. 329 Issue 30721, p1
Reports on the uniformity in the tax-exempt bond enforcement program of the United States government. Maturity of the regulation of municipal bonds; Growth of intermediate sanctions regime.
- Clinton's looming veto jeopardizes bond programs in Republican tax cut bill. Resnick, Amy B. // Bond Buyer;09/10/99, Vol. 329 Issue 30723, p5
Reports on the spate of tax-exempt bond proposals in the United States Congress' $792 billion tax bill. Negotiation of a tax deal; Provisions of the appropriations bill in the US Congress.
- N.Y. City TFA Plans $850M Bond Sale. Burton, Paul // Bond Buyer;1/7/2014, Vol. 123 Issue 34039, p1
The article informs that the U.S.-based New York City Transitional Finance Authority has shown interest to sell 850 million dollars of future tax secured subordinated bonds on January 16, 2013 and also mentions that sale will include 775 million dollars of tax-exempt fixed-rate new money bonds.
- Scott Seeks Enforcement Changes. Hume, Lynn // Bond Buyer;5/5/2006, Vol. 356 Issue 32375, p1
The article reports on the request of former Internal Revenue Service (IRS) tax-exempt bond chief W. Mark Scott for a new approach to the agency's tax-exempt bond enforcement programs in the U.S. Under the new program, IRS will shift its focus from taxing bondholders to penalizing the...