Screening Out TROUBLE
- Task force needs owners' input on contractor issue. Levin, Nanette // Business Journal (Central New York);02/12/99, Vol. 13 Issue 6, p23
Comments on the creation of the Task Force on Independent Contractors in New York State, as part of efforts to address the independent contractor issue. Implications of the issue for small businesses; Lack of small business representation in the Task Force; Recommendations being considered.
- SAFETY FIRST. Riell, Howard // Cheers;Jun205, Vol. 16 Issue 5, p23
Highlights several technical tools that restaurant operators can use to keep their business secure. Background on the Restaurant Vision on Demand, a loss prevention system, from SmartConnect; Collaboration between several restaurant associations and government agencies in the U.S. for the...
- We are shopping around more for security. Tyler, Geoff // Management Services;Sep94, Vol. 38 Issue 9, p26
A survey just completed by the British Security Industry Association (BSIA) shows that in-house security staff are being shed in favour of contracted services, in a big way. Over the last five years, one sixth of all security officer operations have changed from in-house teams to contract...
- Protect Investments. Mather, Robert // Executive Excellence;Oct2001, Vol. 18 Issue 10, p8
Presents guidelines for preventing employee theft. Importance of pre-screening of employees in knowing criminal records; Performance of physical inventories; Necessity of reviewing monthly bank statements.
- Independent testing. Mochari, Ilan // Inc.;Nov2000, Vol. 22 Issue 16, p97
Provides guidelines on classifying workers. How to compensate independent contractors; Prohibition of contractors from utilizing company resources; Employee screening; Reassessment of workforce classification.
- Charity chairperson faces theft charges. // Community Care;4/11/2002, Issue 1417, p11
Features Steve Messham, a charity worker who was accused of stealing money from the North Wales Abuse Survivors group where he works. Main objective of the group; Amount which was allegedly stolen by Messham.
- Worker classification question: Is you is or is you ain't my employee? KALISH, JERRY // Employee Benefit News;Sep2010, Vol. 24 Issue 12, p44
The article offers information on employee classification in an organization. According to Internal Revenue Service, workers can be of four types, including independent contractors, employees, statutory employee, and statutory nonemployee. Workers cannot be treated as employees if they are...
- If not you, who? // Investment Advisor;Sep2011 Supplement, p10
The article focuses on issues concerning independent financial advisors in the U.S. As mentioned, increasing number of financial advisors are leaving their financial institutions and becoming independent. It is also reported that new laws in the U.S. are making this profession difficult for the...
- Impact of Bias Policy Adopted by S.F. Board Pondered. Flax, Ellen // Education Week;10/2/1991, Vol. 11 Issue 5, p5
The article reports that San Francisco Board adopted the nondiscrimination policy which is the concerned of San Francisco Bay Area educators and community groups. This policy conveys that any organizations, associations, and independent contractors that provide educational programs, activities,...