People with diabetes should avoid antibiotic gatifloxacin
- ADRAC reports on atypical antipsychotic-associated diabetes. // Reactions Weekly;6/19/2004, Issue 1006, p3
Provides information on a report released by Australia's Adverse Drug Reactions Advisory on atypical antipsychotic-associated diabetes. List of atypical antipsychotics associated with hyperglycaemia; Median age at diabetes onset for olanzapine; Median time to onset of diabetes for clozapine.
- An unusual case of central diabetes insipidus & hyperglycemic hyperosmolar state following cardiorespiratory arrest. Masood, Muhammad Qamar; Kumar, Suneel; Asghar, Ali; Jabbar, Abdul // BMC Research Notes;2013, Vol. 6 Issue 1, p1
Background: We are describing an unusual case of severe hyperglycemia and hypernatremia, resistant to treatment. Case presentation: A thirty year old female with adenocarcinoma of rectum was admitted with increasing lethargy, headache and drowsiness. She deteriorated rapidly and had cardiac...
- Escitalopram. // Reactions Weekly;6/5/2004, Issue 1004, p9
Discusses research being done on the side effects of the antidepressant drug escitalopram on patient with type I diabetes mellitus. Reference to a study by M. Antignac et al, published in the April 2004 issue of the "Pharmacy World and Science" journal; Occurrence of hyperglycaemia in the...
- FDA releases new recommendations for evaluating CV risk in drugs for type 2 diabetes. // Endocrine Today;1/10/2009, Vol. 7 Issue 1, p1
The article reports on the release by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) of recommendations for evaluating cardiovascular risk in type 2 diabetes drugs.
- Prednisolone. // Reactions Weekly;12/10/2011, Issue 1381, p25
The article describes the case of an 81-year-old woman who developed steroid-induced diabetes mellitus while under prednisolone treatment regimen for polymyalgia rheumatica.
- Peginterferon-Î±-2a. // Reactions Weekly;5/8/2010, Issue 1300, p41
The article describes the case of a 28-year-old human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)-infected man who developed diabetes mellitus with diabetic acidosis while receiving treatment with peginterferon-alfa-2a for chronic active hepatitis C virus genotype 2a co-infection.
- Continuous subcutaneous insulin infusion: practical issues. Saboo, Banshi D.; Talaviya, Praful A. // Indian Journal of Endocrinology & Metabolism;Dec2012 Supplement, Vol. 16, pS259
The growing number of individuals with diabetes mellitus has prompted new way of treating these patients, continuous subcutaneous insulin infusion (CSII) or insulin pump therapy is an increasingly form of intensive insulin therapy. An increasing number of individuals with diabetes mellitus...
- Atypical Antipsychotic-Induced Diabetes Mellitus: How Strong is the Evidence? Henderson, D.C. // CNS Drugs;2002, Vol. 16 Issue 2, p77
Atypical antipsychotics offer significant improvements over older, conventional antipsychotic agents. However, recently the newer agents have been linked to medical morbidity including hyperglycaemia, diabetes mellitus, bodyweight gain and abnormal lipid levels. Even more concerning, because of...
- CME Quiz. // American Family Physician;3/1/2013, Vol. 87 Issue 5, p321
A quiz about the articles published in this journal is presented, including one on the risk of adverse drug events, one on diabetic ketaoacidosis and one on amblyopia.