PUTTING OUT THE UNWELCOME MAT
- A FLEXIBLE TRADITION: SOUTH ITALIAN IMMIGRANTS CONFRONT A NEW WORK EXPERIENCE. Yans-McLaughlin, Virginia // Journal of Social History;Summer74, Vol. 7 Issue 4, p429
The article offers an historical understanding of U.S. immigrant Italian family behavior, particularly their work experiences. According to the author, he examined immigrant Italian families in Buffalo, New York, and found that they endured all the economic and social deprivations usually...
- An immigrant story: The Pritzkersâ€™ Nickel Society. Kapos, Shia // Crain's Chicago Business;1/5/2015, Vol. 38 Issue 1, p0006
The article discusses the story of immigrants in the U.S., particularly the family of U.S. Commerce Secretary Penny Pritzker. The immigrants came into focus due to the efforts by the administration of U.S. President Barack Obama to amend the country's immigration laws. According to Pritzker, her...
- The 'Heart of Dixie' Needs Bypass Surgery STAT. // La Prensa San Diego;10/7/2011, Vol. 35 Issue 40, p2
The article discusses the Heart of Dixie which is part of the anti-immigration law of Alabama that brings harsh treatments to immigrants in the U.S.
- Rules should welcome immigrants. Wolbrecht, Ray // Hays Free Press (Buda, TX);6/ 8/2011, Vol. 109 Issue 9, p4A
In this article, the author discusses the need to change the immigration law to welcome immigrants in the U.S.
- Comprehensive Immigration Reform and Individuals Unlawfully Present in the U.S. Vashistha, Anish // India -- West;5/10/2013, Vol. 38 Issue 25, pA26
The article discusses the issue of illegal presence of several immigrants in the U.S., and its resolution through the country's Comprehensive Immigration Reform (CIR).
- Serial Entrepreneur's Mantra: Finding Ways To Help Immigrants in the U.S. ALBANESE Jr., GIOVANNI // India -- West;9/25/2015, Vol. 40 Issue 45, pB1
No abstract available.
- Immigrants. Prina, Lee L. // Health Affairs;Aug2015, Vol. 34 Issue 8, p1423
The article mentions several grants awarded by various groups and foundations to help improve the quality of life and health of immigrants in the U.S. Grant recipients include the nonprofit group Culture Connect, the Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center based in New York, and the National...
- House bills would further restrict immigration. Gerrie, Sharon // Las Vegas Business Press;06/14/99, Vol. 16 Issue 23, p1
Reports on two bills proposing that the United States government impose stricter immigration laws. Reduction of the immigrant categories; Amendment of a law denying citizenship at birth to children born to non-citizen or permanent resident aliens; Goal to reduce the annual number of immigrants...
- Defining Family in Immigration Law: Accounting for Nontraditional Families in Citizenship by Descent. Degtyareva, Victoria // Yale Law Journal;Jan2011, Vol. 120 Issue 4, p862
Most immigrants who gain permanent residence or citizenship in the United States do so through familial relations. As a result, immigration authorities must constantly decide what constitutes a family. Unfortunately, the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) provides little guidance. While the...